Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peter Gabriel Live CD......

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Philbiker, Aug 14, 2003.

1. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Peter Gabriel is selling CD copies of his latest tour dates at www.themusic.com - I got the Milwakee show, which is mostly great. What is the current lineup of his band? It's not listed anywhere and that's frustrating. Isn't his his daughter Melanie singing backing vocals? Oh, my gosh, she is BRUTAL! Maybe she just had a bad night 6/26/03, but man oh man "Don't Give Up" sounds unbelievably bad!! It's so bad I can't help but listen to to the horror, it's like driving by an accident.

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    lol we don't listen to 'Don't Give Up' either ;)

I've got the Holmdel, NJ show on disk. The line up is the same as his latest album tour.

his core band is:
    Tony Levin - Bass
    Richard Evans - Guitar
    Ged Lynch - Drums

there was a dancer/keyboardist that I don't remember the name of too

[edit] yes that was Melanie singing... she's ok as a back up. The other voice on 'In your Eyes' is Savara, the opening act. [/edit]

3. TRU

TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    I don't listen to don't give up either :)

I've got the Atlanta cd and my friend has the Camden one. The Camden one sounds stronger with more bass. Otherwise I haven't compared the two yet. There are several wrong notes by mr Levin on the Atlanta version :p

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Just listen to Secret World Live when you want to hear "Don't Give Up" with decent backing vocals. I actually bought a Paula Cole CD after enjoying her singing on that one and soon realized that she sounded much better singing Gabriel's material than her own. :) Even Tony Levin on bass couldn't help THAT CD.

brad cok

5. TRU

TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    This is a Tony Levin worship post :)

Now I have listened through the two different versions that I have. It seems that Tony does not play the same fill twice! He's constantly modifying his lines here and there. Of course he hits some wrong notes but I do admire him for standing so close to the edge all the time. Let's just see what he plays on the DVD release...

What do you american folks think of Peter's speak before signal to noise?

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Tony is such a graceful amazing player. When I want to play something really nice sounding I sometimes think "What would Tony play here?"

brad cook

7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    me too. I never do quite come up with anything remotely like Tony would play... but most of what I do, I judge against Tony (and Mike Watt too).

As far as Pete's little rant,my first thought that night was 'geeze, here we go' but he was very diplomatic and basically said that if you don't feel you're being represented it's time to 'signal to noise'.