Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peter Gabriel

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by JWC, Feb 18, 2001.

1. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    Whoever plays bass on the Gabriel album with "In Your Eyes", "Don't Give Up", and "Sledgehammer" (thinks its called So) is one interesting player. His lines are like none other. Listen to them, and try to figure out what in the hell is going on and you'll be amazed. Weird ass style. BAd ass player. I dont think its Mr. Levin, who it is?

2. Tony Levin was touring with PG at the time of "So", but the bass player that wrote the line for "In Your Eyes" I think is Larry Klein, I'm not sure though, and I always thought that Tony Levin did do "Don't Give Up" But I could be wrong.........Check out the Peter Gabriel live cd "Secret World" That is all Tony Levin and if you can play like him you D'Man.......

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Tony Levin plays on all the tracks mentioned and he talks about the album in his autobiography "Beyond the Bass Clef" - in particular he mentions how on "Don't give up", he wanted to change the sound when the rhythm changed and eventually ended up using Nappies (diapers to US people?). He went to England for all the sessions for this album, just after the birth of his daughter, so had baby in tow!

He also explains how he and Jerry Marotta came up with the "Funk Fingers" idea during the recording of this album - in particular for the track "Big Time".

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...ALL the tracks mentioned?
    In a very recent issue of Bass Player mag, Larry Klein was covered & a transcription of his playing on "In Your Eyes" was presented.
    In any event, Larry Klein is one happenin' "doubler", too. I've seen him playing the URB "on the road with Freddie"(as KungFuqua usually sez)Hubbard; Klein also plays on a few of the post-Jaco Joni Mitchell records(I think, maybe, he & Joni had something goin' on?).

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well I have the CD and it says that both Larry Klein and Tony Levin play bass on that track. Levin was in the studio for all the sessions in the UK, but I think a lot of work was done "post-production" with Daniel Lanois.

6. Trivia: Larry Klein is Joni's ex-hubby...

7. Larry Klein waas also the bass player/musical director for the Jini Mitchell tribute that was broadcast last year if you were lucky/ smart enough to have watched it. I also got to see LK in a trio with Shawn Colvin doing some pretty tasty stuff, that band was also on the "Live" program that was on PBS but I haven't seen it in a while.