Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peter Gabriel's "UP"

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by mark beem, Jan 16, 2003.

1. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Great disk... I dont know why he came out with "The Barry Williams Show " as the first single. That's got to be my least favorite song on the CD.

This is a very dark album!!! The lyrics and music all combine to create an almost "gothic" quality.

The music also seems to be more harsh than on his earlier releases. On the first track, "Darkness", I thought for a second that he had somehow convinced Robert Fripp and the rest of King Crimson to come into the studio with him!!!!

Tony Levin shines as always!!! Never a wasted note and always where they need to be to add to the depth and beauty of Gabriel's music. Highlight of the album so far is his upright playing on "No Way Out".

If you're only into Gabriel for songs like "Sledgehammer" or "Steam", you might not like this album too much. Mood and emotion are the key ingredients here.

[​IMG]

2. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    Great album. Very underrated, imo.

Actually, Danny Thompson played double bass on that tune, while TLev played electric. If you listen closely, in some sections (near the end) there are two bass parts -- the DB and TLev's BG. I love the combination.

3. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama

Oops!!!

Sorry about that!! I haven't look at the booklet at the credits (Yes, I buy CD's I don't download!!)... Im just enjoying the music at the moment!!! Thanks for the clarification!!

4. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    I figured it was TLev too, until I read the notes!

Heh- I had the album for weeks before I realized that the cover was a picture of Peter Gabriel!

5. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama

:eek:

I had not noticed that!!!!

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Maybe he should have called it "Down" ? ;)

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I had this CD playing in my car the other day and I picked up my girlfriend. She didn't really know who it was and I didn't tell her but eventually she says "Can we listen to something else?" I asked why and she said "This sounds like something a kidnapper would blast at his victims as they are tied up alone in a room."

Vivid imagination, eh?

brad cook

8. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    Germany
    i also like "up", especially because of the "overall sound and atmosphere". the production is excellent!

9. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    I agree completely. This is quite a departure from the work he did on the us album. Although I don't see this as a stretch for Gabriel. When I first listened to this album it in some ways reminded me of the work he did on Passion.

10. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    one of my favorite releases this year

11. relayer66

relayer66

Oct 10, 2002
    Miura, Japan
    large parts of this album remind me of the melting face album and security. same moods and atmospheres. definitely a return to form, not that the (more) recent stuff has been bad either.

12. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    THE most underated album of this year!

13. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    You know, I never got into this guy. I was always annoyed by the idea that my first name was the same as his last name.

14. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Lay off the liquor before noon, Gabu, it makes for some embarrassing rants. ;)

brad cook

15. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Maybe the original title was "Tied Up" and he shortened it to avoid trouble? ;)

16. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Was that the only reason you never got into him??? A shame if so... you're missing out on some great music!!

17. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    BA-Doom!!

CRASH!!!

"He'll be here all week ladies and gentlemen!!"

:D
    :p