Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peter Garrett resigns from Midnight Oil!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Cambass, Dec 2, 2002.

1. I can't believe it! An official statement is on www.petergarrett.com.au under the news section.

They have been going for 25 years and are one of Australia's most legendary bands. I only saw them a few weeks ago and the energy and atmosphere was brilliant so in that respect they've lost nothing.

:(

2. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    That's too bad. Great band and frontman. Saw them several years ago and they were awesome.

3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Guess he'll have more free time now to star in The Hills Have Eyes Part 2 :)

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    They've been pretty inactive during the last years anyway, haven't they?

5. superfreak

superfreak Unregistered

Aug 18, 2002
    Clarksville, TN
    That is too bad...I love Midnight Oil.

6. Not really, in the last few years they've released a couple of albums and done tours.

7. ...never heard of em. What kind of music do/did they play?

8. OH NO NOT MI

oh wait

who's midnight oil?

9. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    Whoa. Really DHC? I woulda figured you would know these guys. You're such a rennaisance guy. Their biggest hit was Beds are Burning. Download that song and Dreamworld, and Stars of Waberton.

10. oh, that song. yeah... that song is annoying.

let's GIVE IT BAAAAaaaaAAAACCCKKKK
    bam BAM BAM

(sorry for you guys who don't read music, i may have lost you on that last part)

11. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    ....How can we sleep with the beds are buuuuurning!!!

;)

but so sad, Pete's leaving. IMHO, they were like Aussieland's answer to REM. and no, its not just the baldheadedness... :p

12. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Peter Garrett...
    [​IMG]

and The Hills Have Eyes.

[​IMG]

Any questions? :D

13. I thought Peter was the band!? Too bad, his voice was the sound.

RIP-Midnite Oil

Taking bets-How many years till a reunion album, two year tour, greatest hits album and a live three CD and one DVD set from the reunion tour?

14. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    No. They've kept releasing brilliant album after brilliant album, "Breathe", "Redneck Wonderland", and the recent and excellent "Capricornia". One of my favorite bands and I never got a chance to see them live.
    Not completely, but I can't imagine the band going on without him. Of course that's what I thought when The Stranglers lost Hugh Cornwell and they went on with new members fairly well.

This is a real bummer for me as I love the Oils.:(

15. CRAP!

EVERY YEAR they would come to Vancouver and play a 19-and-over venue so I couldn't get in (I look way younger than I am - believe me, there is no point even trying...)

Finally, my 19th birthday is in March... and the Oils disband.

What have I done to deserve this!? Must be all the good luck I've been having, I guess karma really is fair.

--jeff

16. speaking of Australian bands losing their singer,
    I watched a documentary on INXS - they've re-formed with a new singer- who has a great voice, but not the looks and charisma of Michael Hutchence.
    the band members were stating that the band continuing was "to help with the healing process" after losing Hutchence.

17. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Maybe the Oils could audition Jesse Ventura.

18. I used to liek Midnight Oil, the thing that turned me off was Peter's preaching and becoming "one with the government". He would sing about how bad the government was and then he goes and becomes one of them.

Merls