Peter Hook

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by froufrou, Jul 23, 2000.

1. froufrou

Jul 23, 2000
    What bass does Peter Hook (Joy Division/New Order) play?
  2. soulplate

Jul 12, 2000
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by froufrou:
    What bass does Peter Hook (Joy Division/New Order) play?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can answer this.

For New Order and Monaco he usually plays a Shergold Marathon 6-string bass. They are no longer a company, but they have a website -

For the Joy Division sessions he used a Yamaha RB1200. (Basically a P-Bass copy)

Hooky is one of my favorite bassists. I think twenty-four hours is the perfect song :)

btw this is my first post. Hello everyone!
  3. Great link to Shergold......thanks.

I'm sure I've seen Hooky playing a (what I think is a) Hagstrom of some kind....hollowbody, twin F-hole thing....a copy of a Gibson, to my eyes. I have no definitive data on it, which is why I didn't respond to the original post.

On congrats on your first post....

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think he has played loads of different basses over the years and I've seen different ones every time I've seen him play. I remember seeing him playing a Rickenbacker once. He does tend to play the Shergold for "lead lines" rather than actual bass parts, but there have been songs which have needed a rounder bottom end and I presume he picks the bass for the job/song. "Transmission" has a typical Rickenbacker sound, for example.

I do agree that "Twenty Four Hours" is the classic track and a great example of a song built completely around the bass line. When this first came out in England every bass player was trying to get this sound and incorporate into their songs - I wrote at least 2 or 3 that were blatant rip-offs of this song! [​IMG] Much later, I came to realise that the biggest influence on the "sound" of Joy Division was the late Martin Hannett and if you check out any album that he produced around this time you will hear what I mean.(cf. Magazines's "Correct Use of Soap")

Apparently in the sessions for "Closer" Hook (and the rest of the band) were constantly arguing with Hannett to get the sound more raucous and aggressive. Hook himself said in an interview with Q magazine : "I wasn't satisfied with it at the time, but now I think it's the most beautiful, melancholy thing I've ever done."

5. soulplate

Jul 12, 2000
    Yeah, Martin 'zero' Hannett's influence was definitly very strong over the sound of JD. If you've ever listened to the stuff before Hannett - the scrapped RCA album specifically - All of the songs sound really cliched. the synth stuff on 'transmission,' for example, is really cheesy - like something from spaceballs. [​IMG] I think the most important thing that Hannett did was give credibility and a sense of meaning to the whole thing. He found ways to bring out the character of Ian's voice and Hooky's bass style. He even managed to make the synth stuff sound elegant [​IMG] . It's too bad though that both he and Ian died - such a waste of talent. I even enjoyed how he treated New Order's first album. Sometimes when I'm in a mood I'll put the first minute of 'Dreams never End' on repeat [​IMG]

As for bass sounds, I really dig the bass on 'Something must break.' That is a cool song.
  6. RWETB

RWETB Guest

7. Mandude

Apr 19, 2000
    Does anyone know what type of bass Hook is playing in the "Regret" video. It showed up shortly after Republic was released along with a video for "World". It used to air on MTV back when 120 minutes showed decent videos. I thought it was some kind of p-bass, but I could be terribly off the mark on that.
  8. ric4005

Sep 17, 2000
    The main basses hooky plays now are a 6 string shergold, and a 4 string semi acoustic made by chris eccleshall. I'm not sure if he still plays it now, but i remember him looking really cool playing a Rickenbacker 4001 when he was with Joy Division.

9. Metania

Oct 15, 2011
    Orthodox Theology, Byzantine History, horror movies, crafts, making stuff from leather. Flirting with awesome women :-)

I use a TC Electronic BG500/210 with a Line6 Basspod xtlive.
    And a Hagstrom Viking.
    This is one take on a Hookyish tone:

AMP: Hiwatt200.
    amp settings: full drv, treb, bass and vol. Lo mid a little less.
    CAB: 2x15 doubleshow
    EQ: bypassed
    STOMP: blue comp. sett: sustain 90% level 75%
    MOD: deluxe chorus. Sett: speed 0.78hz depth 85% mix 60%
    predly 13% fdbk 65%
    DLY/VRB: large hall decay 50% tone 60% mix 25%

Enjoy :)
  10. what bass he played on that song "
    Perfect Kiss" but I sure dug it !!
  11. 83_Silberpfeil

Aug 15, 2011
    Yamaha BB1200S --- active. Circa late 70s early 80s MIJ.
    I was fortunate to score a clean example off of EBAY!
  12. iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    And never played a Ric, it was a Hondo Ric copy.