Peter Hook's Bass Sound and Effects

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by richinsa, Nov 10, 2002.

1. Hello:
    I am trying to figure out how do duplicate Peter Hook's bass sound. I think it might be heavy chorus. Is this correct? I am thinking of trying an Electro-Harmonix Small Clone pedal to see if i can get close. Any suggestions?
  2. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    The main element to Hooky's sound is his Shergold 6 string, tuned one octave down from a regular guitar... that, a heavy pick played over the bridge pickup, and yes, a chorus pedal...

experiment, and see what you can come up with! :)

3. Does playing it down round his knees help to release the acoustic properties of the instrument? Most other players play the bass resting it against their midriff thus stifling the tone... Or not? :D

Joking. No reply necessary.
  4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

He has used a few different instruments over his career though - so some Joy Division tracks are very distinctively Rickenbacker. I think I preferred his style then - when he was somewhere between bass and guitar - but still holding the "groove" of the band together. I saw one of New Order's earliest "secret" gigs after the death of Ian Curtis and the sound was amazing - great energy in the band as well.

Since New Order got heavily into sequencing, he has given up playing bass really and is just the lead instrument for the band. I think the "playing down by the knees" is to indicate that he is now the lead guitarist really!! ;)