1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Peter Jackson no longer director for Hobbit

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Snarf, Jan 2, 2007.

1. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    Glen Cove, NY
    So, because of a lawsuit between New Line Cinema and Peter Jackson, Jackson is now fired and New Line wants to bring in a new director for The Hobbit and a movie explaining some more of the backstory behind LOTR.

I don't think any LOTR fan could be happy with this. It was Jackson who made the film interpretation come to life and become what I think is the greatest artistic achievement ever made in film.

Hidden on New Line's website is this form: http://www.newline.com/contactus.shtml. If you care about this, please send an email to New Line expressing your concern and a strong desire to see Peter Jackson brought back to the projects as the director.

Here is what Jackson had to say about all this:

2. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    Bummer. I was never into the LOTR books, or really that genre; however, I very much enjoy the 3 movies. I attribute that, in large part, to the director. Too bad. Maybe whomever they choose to replace him will also be good though. But...maybe not, and that would be sad.

3. I dare anyone to make the Hobbit as good as LoTR was. Anyone?

This is a big bummer.... did NewLine not make enough money from the first 3??? Jeeezus. :confused:

4. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    From what I heard, it went something like this:

Jackson: "Hey, what gives? I was promised XXXX for the LotR series!"

NLC: "Ok ok. Make The Hobbit for us, and then we'll pay you that sum. Deal?"

Jackson: "AHAHAHAHAHAAH!!!"

NLC: "Fine. We're just going to get someone else to do The Hobbit, then."

Jackson: "AHAHAHAHAAHAH!!!"

It will suck.

5. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    "Those hobbit movies were boring as...! all it was a bunch of people walking... Even the #$$@en trees walked in those movies!"

6. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Typical show biz short-sightedness and greed. If NLC lays a big fat goose egg on this one, they'll have only themselves to blame...

MM

7. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    Glen Cove, NY
    There's still some hope that PJ can take the reigns again. Ian McKellen is a Jackson supporter, as is Elijah Wood, and all the LOTR fans. I just think that fans need to start emailing and tell it like it is to the New Line suits.

8. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    "There's only one return, and it ain't of the king, it's of the Jedi."

Now all we need is a Transformers thread so can we call someone a Go-Bot (the K-Mart Transformer) and we're set.

9. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    I'm appalled at the grammatical errors in that letter!:p

10. Mystic Michael

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Actually the more I consider this, the more I'm persuaded that this tactic could very well be a bluff from NLC. Peter Jackson has got to know that he has huge support from the fans and from many in the industry as well - which is probably why he felt confident enough to leverage this popularity against NLC in order to compel them to play ball on the LOTR audit issue in the first place. This threat by NLC to make The Hobbit without Jackson is likely just an attempt to level the playing field against Peter Jackson & Wingnut Films, in order to give themselves more negotiating room before they finally cut a deal.

I suspect that we're seeing only the tip of the iceberg of what's really going on here - the part that's been created for public consumption. The remaining 90% that's going on beneath the surface could very well be quite another matter - and will likely determine the ultimate outcome.

I agree: Put pressure on New Line Cinema by swamping them with email in support of PJ. Just be aware that business negotiations are often not what they may seem to be to the naked eye...

MM

11. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    We should get 4chan in on this. With their help we can completely flood their emails and we'd probably see 50 more LotR movies.

12. NEW LINE CINEMA CLOSED DUE TO AIDS.

13. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    If that is the case, it doesn't seem like a bright idea, because I think it really only shows how Jackson is really a much needed entity for future LOTR films. He really set the standard and mode of the films, which I feel another director would fail to fulfill. It would be like if Return of the Jedi was directed by someone other than George Lucas.

The idea of New Line searching for a new director might be great fodder for a comedy sketch. I could only imagine "Quentin Tarantino presents The Hobbit" where the ending is shown from 8 different perspectives, every major character is shot to death, and there would be a few scenes that pay homage to Fellini's Satyricon and Jean-Luc Godard's Le Mepris. Maybe a Scorscese version starring DeNiro as Gandalf, Harvey Keitel as Elrond, and Joe Pesci as Bilbo. Perhaps New Line could hire David Cronenberg who would feature mutant dwarves and excessive, graphic carnage. At least the score would still be written by Howard Shore.

14. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    No, it would be as if Episodes 1, 2, & 3 were directed by someone other than Lucas, which would have been a GOOD thing.

Bad analogy. :meh:

15. I pretty much agree. I think Jackson is using this as a negotiating tactic to get what he wants from New Line. I expect they'll work something out before too long and he'll be back as the "Hobbit" director.

16. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    It would be like if they were going to make the prequels directly after Jedi and have a different director than Lucas - how about that? :)

17. Jiggybass

Jiggybass

Nov 15, 2005
    Sudbury, Canada
    In any case, without PJ, The Hobbit is gonna suck big ::meh:

18. bigfatbass

bigfatbass Banned

Jun 30, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Endorsing Artist: Karl Hoyt Basses
    Can't be the same actors anyway, by the time they get this together the ages will be all wrong. Should have made the hobbit first to begin with. :bag:

People with 9 digit bank accounts dickering over 7 digit sums. :rollno:
    No matter who they pump 120 mill into to make the hobbit 1 BILLION is going to squirt back out.

At least PJ seems to be showing some solid geek integrity. Hell hath no fury like a really rich nerd. World history has taught us that for thousands of years. If he had just 5 points on Fellowship ALONE that puts over 43,000,000 in his bank account. This does not count anything he may have on the merch, too! NLC will do whatever they can to get him on board...to a point. At over 2.6 BILLION dollars (the GDP of Fiji) the entire franchise is still bigger than PJ by 50 times over no matter who makes the next one.

And what would they do for a story in the other prequel? Just make new sh!t up since they've run out of books?

19. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
  20. Mystic Michael

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    ROFL! Dude, that is hysterical! You rock! :cool:

MM