Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

peter nordin (meshuggah)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by velvetkevorkian, Jan 28, 2005.

1. was just wondering, since meshuggah's guitarists play 8 string guitars, does the bassist have lots of extra low strings? on the stereo i'm listening to "destroy erase improve" i can't really hear any difference between the guitars and bass, but i can imagine him having a low c# just to be smart ;)
    tata
    kyle

2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    He has a very strange midrangey sound that fits meshuggah, but makes the mix a bit harsh. But he needs to in order to compete with you know who. ;)

Not sure of his setup... better ask Blisshead.

3. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I've seen them play live a couple times, and he plays a 4 string that I'm guessing is tuned down a bit, but not totally sure about that.

4. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    i was under the impression that the bass player got fired or quit because of the fact the guitar players tuned so low that they didnt need him anymore.

5. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    I saw Meshuggah live last year (I think the bassist was Gustav Hielm, but they have been through a few bassists over the years). He was playing a 5-string Ibanez (I think it was a BTB), and the guitarists played 8-string (!) Ibanez guitars.

Peter Nordin used to play Spectors. :D

Russ :bassist:

6. Matteran

Matteran Banned

Jan 1, 2005
    Santa Rosa, CA
    I'm really interested to know what rig he uses. I know he uses an ibanez bass, but his tone is just soo... unique. That I want it or anything, but just out of curiosity, i've always wondered what amp he uses.

The only that came to mind was a guitar amp, like a mesa or something, something with loads of gain, and not a lot of bass.

7. Malcom

Malcom

Oct 21, 2002
    The Midwest
    I'm pretty sure the band went all direct quite quickly.

8. That would be correct. Gustav used to work in a music store and he actually helped me when I bought a new bass some years ago. He was very much for five stringers and I remember how he once said: "Whatever you can do with a four string you can do with a five string... and more". That was his main argument for me trying a 5 string (which I did and Im very glad I did that).

9. brainhii

brainhii

Mar 25, 2007
    In Meshuggah's earlier songs, it's 7 string guitars tuned down a half step, appropriately accompanied with 5 string bass tuned down as well. With the more recent stuff it's 8 string guitars tuned down a half step(so it goes down to low F) and 5 string bass tuned UP a half step, so the E becomes an F as well. The bass and guitar are then on the same octave.

The bass is still very important, because tone-wise, the bass fills up space that no guitar, no matter how low tuned it is, can reach.

10. thombo

thombo

Aug 25, 2006
    Denver, CO
    i recall seeing some clips of their current bassist (?) playering a warwick 5 on youtube @ bassplayer tv. i recall hearing that they don't record bass... he is only a live fixture. i think the entire bad uses line 6 gear for amps.

11. SMASH

SMASH Guest

Jan 18, 2000
    Canada.
    I've seen this band in the past and was really underwhelmed. Got the new album and I'm thinking I may have misjudged them. The production on the new one is pretty bad. Zero bottom end, really. The bass just chugs along with the guitars. Maybe taht's because it's the guitarists recorging the bass. Their bassist is only for touring.

I get that their thing is the cool riffs, but I think it'd really benefit their sound to have better production and have some melodic our counterpuntal bass lines. Lots of room for it, and it'd break up the monotony of their tone and the singer's screeching. I'd like this band way better without a "singer" and that too would leave more room for the bass or something worthwhile to happen.

FWIW, I like lots of "extreme" bands with cookie vocals, but in this case I really think the guy adds nothing in lyrics or atmosphere. I've only really listened to the latest album very much though. Total respect to these guys for being around over 20 years. I'm going to see them with Cynic in Feburary !

:bassist:

12. rysker6

rysker6

Nov 18, 2008
    Chicago
    He's used Ibanez and Warwick, so did their bassplayer before him