1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Peter Steele

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by maggotstorm_36, Oct 2, 2013.

1. maggotstorm_36

maggotstorm_36

Jul 13, 2013
    What kind of strings and guitar picks did peter steele use?

2. SteveV74

SteveV74 Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    Dr black beauties

3. Greevus

Greevus

Apr 15, 2009
    Damn I miss him, Dio and Jeff Hanneman

.BumeStik. likes this.
  4. and Duck Dunn

5. ReiPsaeg

ReiPsaeg

Dec 1, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    Steele strings.

6. SteveV74

SteveV74 Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    Picksdont matter,whatever is comfortable to you

7. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Quite certain he was Dean Markley, but not %100. He used thick picks I believe, could be wrong. There are several TBers that knew him personally, one of them might chime in with a better answer.

His strings and pick are not essential to his sound, get a bass strung BEAD and run it through a Boss ODB-3 and a CE-2 (or CEB-2), use a pickup closer to the bridge and you should get pretty close, piezo pickups work best, that is what Peter had to get his "sizzle" on top. Peter also had a Fernandes Bass Sustainer which was pretty key to his tone, they don't make them, they never made them, and you will not find one. I have tried.

Peter Steele is one of my favourite bassists/songwriters, so I have tried to cop his tone before.

8. SteveV74

SteveV74 Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    Fernandes did make some bass sustainers that were sold to the public, they are very rare, there was just one on ebay,a 5 string

DiabolusInMusic likes this.
  9. SteveV74

SteveV74 Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    Sustainiac makes them, for bass as well, does the same thing.

10. Greevus

Greevus

Apr 15, 2009
    He was a strange tonechaser and switched brands a lot but he did maintain that fuzzy chorusy tone. Seems like every time I saw him he had a different bass and/or amp, but that same effects rack. I met him in Atlanta in '91 and he flew down to play a benefit for the Ga Tech radio station. He brought his bass and rack and played through my friend's rig and he sounded the exact same. He was very cool and nice. They all played my friends' gear and they got milk and beer all over everything. Very cool and fun to watch my buddies freak out. He was a pretty big influence on me using a pick and chorus/flange pedals. And I currently tune BEAD probably due to him.

It's pretty wild to look up some early Carnivore videos of him looking like Manowar and using his fingers only on an Alembic. He admitted he was a huge fan of early Joey DeMaio too. And Nietzche.

11. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I have only heard of prototypes that artists had access to, I have never heard anything about them being sold to the public.

I am guessing this is the one you were referring to, this is an entire bass, the system itself was never sold individually to the public. I never knew they even sold complete basses with it though, I am guessing these bad boys were Japan only and extremely limited in number. I wonder if this was an endorsed artists bass at some point. Honestly, if this guy had a four banger I would probably be buying it today, I have no use for a 5 though. :bawl:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-Rare-...C-/121268750871?pt=Guitar&hash=item1c3c2e4a17

Very cool about Sustainiac, I had never heard of them, thanks for the heads up.

12. SteveV74

SteveV74 Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    I agree, if it was a 4 string I wouldnt have said I saw one on ebay, I would have said I bought mine on ebay, lol......and sustainiac is a company that makes sustainers for guitar and bass, and you can get that same blood-curdling harmonic squeel from your bass that Peter Steele gets if you put one in your bass, they have a website where you can get an order customized for your exact instrument, Kenny hickey had a sustainiac sustainer in his green schecter guitar, good stuff, Im saving for one myself, I want to put one in a Pedulla MVP4, the one that has the 2J pickup config. will work perfectly, i think. Anyway, if you want to see a sustainiac on bass in action, go to youtube , type in sustainiac bass, there are a couple of guys who had the same idea, one guy on there does a bass cover of stay out of my dreams, he has a red tremor with a sustainiac, good stuff, check it out.

13. Xero Tolerance

Xero Tolerance

May 19, 2014
    New Jersey
    He used DR black beauties but also used dean markleys. He used green picks that very much resemble Dunlop tortex green standard picks. Pete was a family friend of ours along with carnivore, so I can ask my sources to find out more about what other stuff the big guy used.

.BumeStik. likes this.
  14. .BumeStik.

.BumeStik.

Jul 15, 2012
    Gilbert, AZ
    Pete was probably one of the most influential Bassists/Songwriters I have ever looked up to, for me Personally. I MISS knowing a new Type O album was coming soon. Ugh.

Xero Tolerance likes this.
  15. Raineman_13

Raineman_13

Sep 1, 2016
    Washburn M10 Pete Steele custom, with a sustainiac

Attached Files:

16. Raineman_13

Raineman_13

Sep 1, 2016
    Newest update, 1995 fernandes asb100s found and bought in usa

Attached Files:

17. wolfkeller

wolfkeller Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    Peter used blue steel 5 string sets and ditched the G. Later he used black beauties

18. Raineman_13

Raineman_13

Sep 1, 2016
    Lmao, don't blame him for ditching the G.
    How do you know this ?