Peter Steele

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by bassman192, Aug 13, 2001.

1. bassman192

Aug 12, 2001
    i've nailed many of peter steele's (type o negative) bass effects, without having to spend tons of cash buying a big processor. my question is this: does anyone know how to nail the effect on the song "too late: frozen" off the bloody kisses album? i do know that he has a fancy processor he uses on stage after meeting and seeing him, but i'm still wondering about too late. i've tried everything and then more and i still can't nail it. thanks.
  2. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I know he used to keep things fairly simple -- distortion, chorus and delay. Pete is one of my favorite bass players and IMO, an awesome musician. At one time, I too wanted to sound exactly like him.

"At one time" :confused:? Actually, I would still like to achieve his sound..
  3. bassman192

Aug 12, 2001
    well, whenever i play my own stuff, i play dry, occaisionally adding my horsey wah and an eq to enhance it... i wouldn't say it's about wanting to sound like him. but it's pretty much a given that he's a good bassist...if he's not good physically than he's good at writing.
  4. brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    He's a great songwriter and a great player. I loved his stuff in Carnivore too.
  5. bassman192

Aug 12, 2001
    oh, carnivore are the best... it's sounds just like type o's first album... which probably meant peter hadn't changed his style yet.. but i've let a lot of my friends hear 'race war' and they get turned off completely to peter steele... but then i make them listen to 'kill all the white people' and they usually change their minds.
  6. brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    LOL! Yeah, he's an equal opportunity hate-monger.
  7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Well, this is kind of Effects, and kind of Bassists. Humm...

Moving to Bassists.
  8. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Kinda like me -- I don't hate any one, I hate everyone! ;)
  9. bassman192

Aug 12, 2001

now, what's to be said about gwar...
    a masked band that DOESN'T sell out... maybe slipnut can take a hint...
  10. brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
  11. I know this thread is kinda old, but I just had to bump it.

Peter steele is one of my biggest influences when it comes to bass and lyrics. I can't sing as low as him, I'm more of a baritone. The "equal opportunity hate monger" is just an act, IMO. I met him at a concert they played in Columbus, Oh. The Type O guys are really pretty laid back. I just wouldn't ever want to piss them off, Peter is monstrous!! Peter even let me pluck around on his Esh. I was in friggin heaven. Since that day I have wanted to get an Esh, they are just so nice.

Gwar on the other hand... are just plain SWEET!! Beefcake is just fun. GWAR is playing here in nine days and I'm trying to get tickets.
  12. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    hey, i remember this thread! yeah, i would have to say that old petey is putting on an act. he's really a calm, thoughtful kinda guy. and as far as hating everyone, i think it's more himself that he has a problem with. i met him in savannah at a really cool club after they played with drain sth and stuck mojo--- _awesome_ show. i didn't get to play his bass, though ;)
  13. Yeah, from what I gathered when I met him, he has a lot of pent up emotions and problems he os struggling with. He was extremely coo, though. I was actually kidding when I asked to play his bass, I thought he would laugh and say "no way" but nearly peed myself when he passed it over to me and plugged it in. But if I dropped it, I would probably have been in the ICU for a few weeks :D

The other guys in the band are cool also, Kenny was hilarious.
  14. i dont think he became equally opportunity hatemonger until after he was attacked in germany by people that werent to pleased with "race war" and "jesus hitler"i think it was aroung 91 or so
    and im not sure when he decided to "kill all the white people"
  15. maggotstorm_36

Jul 13, 2013
    does anyone know what kind of strings and guitar picks pete used?
  16. Josh Thatguy

Josh Thatguy Registered abUser Supporting Member

...far too many try to duplicate his tone, yet first they need to embellish their talent...

Food for thought. Choke on it if you wish