Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peter Steele's basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Selta, Apr 24, 2002.

1. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I've just been wondering what kind they were and with what electronics. Also, what effects does he use for his overdrive? Thanks all
    Ray
    PS any links would be nice
    PSS Is this the right ofrum?

2. I don't know what he plays now. But I know for a while he was using Esh basses. www.Esh-Basses.com
    I got to play his when I got backstage passes to Type O Negative a few years ago.

I'm pretty sure he has changed his setup since then, though.

3. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    yup...he plays esh stingers...the _non_- goth model. he also plays alembics...a spoiler, iirc. _and_ he even played a fernandes 5 string. in his older days, you coulda seen him with a totally destroyed thunderbird. that thing has totally been cut up with a holesaw. hope that helped. don't even ask what his rig is though....it's huge, and i don't even want to begin what all is in his signal chain.

4. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Much needed info though! Alls I need are the basics. I want to try to recreat his sound from "World Coming Down" cause in our next gig (whenever that happens to be) we want to play a few of their songs, and I want to be as close to the original as possible. Anywho, thanks for the help on the basses, but mainly I'm looking for pedals and electronics! Thanks all!!
    Ray

5. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    well, i took a sneak peak at his rack, and it's as tall as he is...all red, blue, yellow and green flashing led's. granted, the eshtronic circuit in his stinger and the alembic pre- have a lot to do with his raw signal...but, hey, good luck!

6. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I have an article that touches on his rig, but it is from a 1995 magazine (Guitar, May 1995), so it's probably changed a bit since then. Here's a rundown:

Bass: Alembic Spoiler (right on, neptoon), Amps: 2 Peavey Maxes (800 watts each), 36/20 bottoms (two 18s and two 10s). Pete says, "I added some Piezos in there because I use distortion and chorus and delay and I like that sizzle sound, like when you suck all the mids out and it's all bottom and all sizzle on top. I loaded those bottoms with JBLs which are capable of taking what I pump into them."

He uses Boss pedals, "Because they're made of sheet metal."

The last time I saw Type O play live, the only thing I could make out was the configuration of his cab. It looked to me to be an 18" with two 10s in it!

I love Peter Steele and Type O Negative. Peter is brutally honest about what he does and why he does it and he doesn't try to b*llsh*t you into thinking otherwise. Type O rocks!

7. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    To the best of my knowledge, Pete's main stage basses these days are the ESH that ChaosGwar mentioned, as well as a custom Fernandes in the shape of a Ric 4003. However, I believe that the main component in his sound is his use of custom-made "Sustainer" pickups in his basses. This, along with his heavy use of effects, makes for the "Type O" sound.

I've had to cover a number of T.O.N. songs live, and I've found that a good approximation can be found by using a good helping of fuzz (not your typical "metal distortion" - it's usually too harsh a sound), chorus, and a tad of compression. I've also found that the use of an octave pedal helps to bring out the distortion qualities simulate the Sustainer effect he uses.

8. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Any suggestions as to what pedals to use? Thanks....

9. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    well, i used google for ya. how 'bout them apples

[​IMG]

10. Neptoon, excellent diagram!

Type O is one of my favorite bands, and Peter is one of my biggest influences.

If I had the money to buy an ESH, I would do it in an instant. His Esh was one of the smoothest basses I've ever played.

11. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i'm glad you dig....i just pm'ed ya a sec ago...hope that helps! yeah, i like ol' petey mahownself. ;)

12. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Hey, thanks for the diagram! Lotsa help!! Now, if only I had enough cash for everything up to the amps, I'd be set...LOL. Thanks again all TB'ers, and umm, can you e-mail me that diagram? I'm to lazy to save it...:oops: :rolleyes:

13. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
  14. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    IYO whats the best TOP CD?

15. NioeZero

NioeZero

Sep 2, 2001
    D'you mean best TON album, old_skool?

My personal favorite would be Origin of the Feces. Basically the same material as Slow Deep and Hard, but with that twisted TON sense of humor. And Type O has a way of covering Black Sabbath songs (Paranoid) that makes me think they should have been Black Sabbath first. (If that makes any sense.) They did a great version of Black Sabbath on the first BS tribute album, too.

They're all excellent albums, though. That band is great.

16. I like them all. They evolved and progressed, but didn't lose their signiture style.

On the Howard Stern Private Parts soundtrack, there is an excellent song they did with Ozzy on Vocals. It's called "Pictures of Matchstick Men" or something like that. It's very badass.

I've been listening to World Coming down and Least Worst of... recently. October Rust is another I like a lot. But I can't choose a favorite.

17. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Greetings & Felicitations Children of Technology,

Has everyone forgotten the mighty transgressor to ToN? No, not Sub-Zero or Repulsion (pre-ToN) , I'm talking about the forever brutal Carnivore!!! Slow Deep & Hard's songs were all left-over Carnivore material. I talked to John Kelly the other day and they are finishing up their new album. Yes, ToN is a great band that has progressed through its albums, but, Carnivore & Slow Deep & Hard were blueprints for their success today...

regretfully,
    Satan

18. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    yeah, i really thought carnivore was an awesome project-from bootlegs i've heard. but it kind of had the sound of a band trying to "find" themselves. kinda like pete was trying to figure out what to do, ya know? and it stayed like that until bloody kisses. that's my impression, anyway. i still like the older aggressive frustrated stuff though ;)