Peter Trawavas

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Nickthebassist, May 3, 2005.

1. Anybody like Marillion? I've just been listening to them and I like this guy's tone and playing style.
  2. i don't like marillion, but i LOVE what he does in Transatlantic... so much that i'd wabnt his babies (and i'm not a girl either)
  3. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    I dig what he does in Marillion, and he's by far the best part of Transatlantic. Too-many-cooks syndrome by far on those albums - 25 minute songs are at least 16 minutes too much, and "long" doesn't equal "epic".
  4. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I bought Marbles fairly recently and I have to say it was boring for the most part. It was like Enya mixed with the softer side of Porcupine Tree. I never really noticed anything great on that album, but great bass couldn't save a bad album.
  5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I like Pete's playing a lot.
    I like his playing on Clutching At Straws, Brave and Afraid of Sunlight the most.
  6. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Believe it or not I`ve payed attention to his work with Marillion.
    However, I "discovered" him in Transatlantic and got really impressed with his lines. His groove, tone and supporting role are really outstanding.
  7. For those who like the Transatlantic stuff, grab the DVD "Live in Europe" ~ it's a fine display of progmusicianship. Most songs average > 20 minutes and they are all brilliant. Great grooves, interesting progressions, the whole lot. Trewavas burpy Warwick pick sound is mixed nicely as well.
  8. philiprst

philiprst Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2005
    Many years ago, when I was student in London, I used to trot along to the old Marquee club in Soho to see Marillion play. They were a great band and probably the best live band I have ever seen. Pete always impressed me as a bassist and he was one of the big reasons I took up bass in the first place. For five years I played in a Marillion cover band so I learnt all his tricks :)

I really love the first two albums; Script and Fugazi. The bass tone on Script is classic punchy Ric and I love the way the bass and drums lock together to propel the songs along. After they changed drummers he became a wonderful supportive player; never flashy but always supporting the song.

For those of us bass players who enjoy "progressive" music, I would recommend you check out John Jowitt who has worked with IQ and Arena. He is a wonderful solid player and I wish I could play like him :)
  9. msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I loved Pete T in Transatlantic. "SMPTe" is one of the most often played albums I own, and he's a major part of that.

But yeah, they really could have used an extra week or so in the studio and a producer who wasn't afraid to smack Portnoy around.
  10. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000

...except I've never heard Afraid of Sunlight. Misplaced Childhood is a great album too.
  11. By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Pete is an awesome bass player. Check out "He Knows you Know" and "Forgotten Sons" from Script for a Jester's Tear.
    "Assasin" or "Fugazi" from Fugazi. Misplaced Childhood is a theme album in which all the songs pretty much run together from beginning to end. Cluthing at Straws was the last recording with Fish. A real shame Marillion and Fish parted ways.
    Actually the whole Fish era of Marillion to me was just inspiring.
    As stated before, Fish writes brillant lyrics.
    Steven Rothery is just an amazing guitarist, some of my fave guitar solos are: Chelsea Monday, Sugar Mice, Hotel Hobbies and Cluthching at Straws.
    The cool thing about Pete is the way he interacts with the drums.
    As stated earlier, he's not flashy, but he can lay down a great supporting bassline.
  12. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    LOL :D You mean you don't appreciate drummers who overplay wildly - to the point of making John Bonham seem like Charlie Watts by comparison?

I just simply don't understand that... ;)

13. You said it. I don't generally like prog rock but Marillion are an exception. They have a nice rebellious attitude that I like.
  14. msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Actually I think that Portnoy's playing is generally appropriate for the techno gunslinger style cut and paste prog done by Dream Theater/Liquid Tension Experiment, and I really liked what he played in Transatlantic. But it's been said that he's largely responsible for the weird lack of continuity that all of those albums' songs suffer from to some extent. As great an album as "SMPTe" was, it could have easily transcended what it is with some changes in attitude. The guy is just way too into throwing in weird rhythm/time changes for the sake of doing it rather than because it enhances the song in any way.
  15. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    I apologize in advance for highjacking the thread...but I just had to mention that I've seen Dream Theater three times - and no one in the band has ever been guilty of allowing a good groove to get in the way of showing off his flashy chops (with the exception of John Myung, though I may be biased ;) )

Petrucci & Portnoy are the worst offenders. At a gig during their "covers" tour a few years ago, the band - in a rare moment of restraint - actually succeeded in creating a superb slow blues groove as they covered Zeppelin's "Since I've Been Lovin' You". Until it came time for the guitar solo, that is - whereupon Petrucci began to simply take that delicate, sensitive, precious groove apart - measure by measure, note by note. I mean, it was ugly - the musical equivalent of throwing a handful of beach sand into fresh, delicious salad. And not one person in that club seemed to even realize the horror of what was being inflicted upon them! :rolleyes:

I tell you, those boys may have chops to burn. But they still have some serious growing up to do...

16. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    That's the way I feel too. Marillion may change time sigs etc, but you always sense they're thinking about the song rather than showing off their chops.
  17. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    You guys are going to make me break out my turntable and records!!!

...I grew up listening to the early Marillion stuff...Rothery is such a TASTEFUL guitarist (so few of those out there), and Trawavas always played the right part.

I tried to get into the "post-Fish" stuff, but it just didn't work anymore for me when he left. Childhood's End and Clutching At Straws still stick with me for very personal reasons (divorce), even though I haven't listened to them in years.

Sounds like a trip to a good CD store may be in order soon...

And yes, while I respect the musicianship of bands like Dream Theater, man...when you are doing weird stuff just to show off that you can do weird stuff, instead of doing so to service the SONG, ain't sellin' me a record.

...that $h!t just irritates me.
  18. By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Another great cd to get is "B'Sides Themselves",
    this is a compilation of b-sides and singles tracks from the Fish period.
    If your a fan of Steve Rothery then check out his solo on
    "Tux On". I always liked his use of vibrato.
  19. By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA

I totally relate to everything you said here.
    I have all four Marillion w/ Fish albums on vinyl.
    Steve Rothery is one of my fave guitarists.
    I to tried to get into the post Fish Marillion, but couldn't get into it
    And although I like Dream Theater, I just can't bring myself to actuall buy one of thier cd's.
  20. philiprst

philiprst Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2005
    Although the Fish era material is my favorite, some of the songs with the relacement singer (Steve Hogarth) are wonderful. Hogarth is a truly gifted singer and really great live. However, I pretty much lost interest in Marillion after Afraid of Sunlight.....

I quite like Dream Theater, but then I don't think of what they do as songs to be served. They are a bit like King Crimson in that regard although that is probably where the comparison begins and ends :)