1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Peter Trewavas

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by LCMBassist, Oct 2, 2008.

1. LCMBassist

LCMBassist

Sep 27, 2008
    England
    I've always associated Peter with a Rickenbacker, but lately I've seen him with an Aria in old videos. Which came first? I've been listening to a lot more Marillion recently, and I was wondering what the secret to his punchy trebly tone is? I like it. What kind of amps etc did he use?

2. Vicko

Vicko

Apr 27, 2005
    Madrid
    He has been endorsing Laney Amplification for a long time.

Lately the B2 head model, now discontinued. Ten years ago when I saw him with Marillion with two heads (don't remember the model) and a couple of 8x10", all of them from Laney.

Then he played an Ibby Soundgear but, again, don't know what model, maybe a sr890 in natural.

3. Peter is AWESOME as is his band.. one of my Favs.
    I have seen him play Warwicks, Fender P & JBasses, Arias he basically plays lots of different basses.
    He is able to get a great tone out of ANY bass I have heard him play, and his Laneys sound decent also... so it's prolly the player more than the equipment :bassist:

4. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - the final frontier! Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    Check out his new release with Transatlantic. Great playing and to the front of the mix. I see from the web site that he'll be out in the States in the Spring touring with Transatlantic.

Interestingly on the Marillion site, his current gear is listed as a Fender P & J and a Squire P & J as well as the double-neck Rick.

My memories of Pete's live playing were back in his Aria days!

5. markkoelsch

markkoelsch

Sep 6, 2008
    When I last saw him, and this is when Fish was still in Marillion, he was playing mostly Warwick.

A fine player. I just wish Fish was still in Marillion.

The_Bass_Troll likes this.
  6. PhR

PhR

Dec 13, 2005
    Finland
    He used a Rickenbacker 4000 during the early years and including the first album. Then he switched to Aria SB1000 and after that the headless Status ("Clutching At Straws" era) and Warwick. His amps were Peavey and Trace Elliot. He also used a fretless Precision from the first album onwards.
    Marillion album sleeves are a good source of information, gearwise! They also served Peter Hammill well ("Fugazi" sleeve).;)

7. I always had 'Fugazi' down as the Aria SB1000 (or 600, not sure), and I think 'Misplaced Childhood' is still Arias but a different series, Avanti is it?

8. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - the final frontier! Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    He certainly was using Aria's live for both the Fugazi tour and the MC tour!

9. On Transatlatic's latest record he used some IBanez Bass, forgot the model though.

10. The_Bass_Troll

The_Bass_Troll

Oct 6, 2012
    I first saw Marillion on Sunday, 22 May 1983 in Würzburg, Bavaria, (W) Germany. Peter played a Rickenbacker, but I could not tell from the distance whether it was a 4000, 4001, or 4003.

11. Eyesee7

Eyesee7

Jul 17, 2005
    I don't have much interest in Marillion but his work in Transatlantic is some of my favorite ever. Really creative parts in true prog tradition.

Stellvia and BrentSimons like this.