Peterson Tuners?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Pat Harris, Feb 24, 2010.

1. Pat Harris

Pat Harris Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I'm not sure if this is the right place for this thread, so if not, please feel free to move it.

Has anyone had any experience with the Peterson tuners on double bass? Specifically, I'm looking at the StroboStomp and the StroboFlip models. Are they worth the $200+ price tag? I'd like to a get a tuner that I can run in my signal chain for amped up gigs and that allows me to "silently" tune as well. The whole mute amp, unplug bass, plug bass into tuner, tune, plug into amp, un-mute amp routine is starting to get a bit old.

-Pat

2. MLysh

MLysh

Oct 11, 2007
    MD/DC/VA
    I use a strobo-stomp with my doublebass and it works great, but it is a battery hog. If you use it in your signal chain, I would recommend using a wall-wart with it. I believe it is the most accurate tuner available in stomp-box form; accurate enough to set intonation on electric basses.

3. Jeremy Darrow

Jeremy Darrow

Apr 6, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Fishman Transducers, D'Addarrio Strings, Aguilar Amplifiers
    I agree 100%, it's an indispensable tool for me, but it devours batteries. I haven't used the D.I. function, but I've seen several players use the balanced out with good results.

4. Handyman

Handyman

Sep 4, 2007
    Austin, TX
    You might want to check out the Sonic Research Turbo Tuner. Its also an extremely accurate strobe tuner. Its true bypass, very easy to use, and nearly indestructible. The 9v battery in mine is about a year old, and its still working just fine.

When these things show up used in the classifieds section, they're usually sold withing 30 minutes. I highly recommend this if you want something with the accuracy of a strobe tuner.

They're $129.99, and can be found on the manufacturer's web page:
    http://www.turbo-tuner.com/

Of course, if you're willing to use a tuner that's accurate within a few cents, your options are enormous.

5. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    I have and use a "strobo-flip". I'm mostly on the electric side with that though. I compared it to an R490 (real strobe) gets extremely close. I had to reset a DB bridge for my cousin, he's accustom to a certain scale length (kind of a "set in his ways" bluegrass player) and set it as close as I could, did a great job with that, compared to the clip on korg he uses.
    He tapes certain parts of the neck, so i got them lined back up. It's a very good tuner (strobo-flip) for the money and does not tear up batteries (No DI though).

6. Pat Harris

Pat Harris Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Hey all,

Thanks for all of the great feedback.

Handyman - wish I knew your name. Thanks for the input on the Turbo Tuner. I had no idea the thing even existed and I'm very partial to the price and the smaller footprint it has over the Peterson tuners.

7. Wild Rice Chris

Wild Rice Chris Commercial User

May 7, 2005
    Palatine, IL
    Rice Custom Guitars, Inc
    I have the StroboFlip and recently picked up a first generation Strobostomp.
    The Flip doesn't eat batteries quite as quickly, I use rechargeable NiMh Energizers.

Keep your eyes open, they pop up cheaper than $200. My Flip was on sale at Musician's Friend for $160 shipped, I bought the Stomp used for $89 shipped.

I haven't used the DI, and probably won't. I've read that the buffer amp in the Stomp is not very good and the DI doesn't work when the pedal is set for true bypass.

Yes, worth it! Go for the Stomp, it has a tougher case and is easier to use on a gig. Get a power adapter to save on batteries (BOSS PSA-120 works well). Being true bypass, it won't affect your sound when off, and you can keep playing of your battery dies.

8. flatback

flatback

May 6, 2004
    the iphone version (Peterson) works great for those of you so inclined and it is only $10

9. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    I have the Blue Strobostomp. It tracks great however:

1. Battery Hog
    2. Not gig worthy (I have had to replace the cheapo jacks twice and they do become loose after a while)
    3. My display after about 3 years has faded white so it is really hard to see. I want to say that there is a fix for that (with of course a charge from Peterson).

So, if you gig on a regular basis, my experience is "not recommended".

10. Wild Rice Chris

May 7, 2005
    Palatine, IL
    Rice Custom Guitars, Inc
    I forgot about the jack problem...mine is mounted on a pedalboard (with power supply) and doesn't get plugged/unplugged or strained. I hadn't heard about the screen fading, I'll have to keep an eye on mine. My StroboFlip display fades out when the battery is low.

The Turbo Tuner is interesting, although their "science" on the FAQ page leaves something to be desired.
    The smaller size is a plus, as is their claim of ±.02¢ (compared to StroboStomp's ±.1¢).

11. my 2¢ - I didn't really care for them. I don't care how much I'm out of tune only when I'm in tune and which direction I need to head to get in tune :D imo it was just tmi

12. "DI" is "direct input," right?

13. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    +1 to the turbo tuner, I sold my Peterson's after getting one and it works great (better). I will admit to downloading the Peterson App on my I phone which I use quite a bit more then anything these days.

14. Jeremy Darrow

Jeremy Darrow

Apr 6, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Fishman Transducers, D'Addarrio Strings, Aguilar Amplifiers
    I don't know about the earlier version, mine is pretty recent. But as of right now,I've had no issues with the jacks or the display. I make my living with my bass.

15. Wild Rice Chris

May 7, 2005
    Palatine, IL
    Rice Custom Guitars, Inc
    Yes, the StroboStomp has an XLR out and functions as a direct box. I have good DIs on my amps as well as access to an excellent stand-alone unit, and I don't plan on using the Peterson's DI.

The new(er) silver version has better Neutrik jacks and improved power consumption.
    http://www.petersontuners.com/index.cfm?category=2&sub=16
    I was digging through all of the available info a few months back when I bought mine. I wanted the silver one, but for my uses the blue one wins (especially considering the price difference).
    And I know how to solder if the jacks do develop a problem.

16. drasticDUB

drasticDUB Guest

Mar 13, 2008
    the accuracy of the strobostomp was great, but ultimately I sold mine.
    A loud popping noise would happen when running this tuner inline, and trying to use it as a mute. Clicking back after tuning, I would get the loud pop.
    I called peterson about this...they told me to use the XLR out to avoid this problem.

bummer. Switched back the trusty boss TU2 stage tuner.

Solid.

17. Wild Rice Chris

May 7, 2005
    Palatine, IL
    Rice Custom Guitars, Inc
    That's the downfall of true bypass, and no way around it that I'm aware of. Your sound is always going through the TU-2 (even when it's off), which can change your sound (for better or worse depending on your amp/bass/pickup/other stompboxes/etc). I still have my TU-2, but prefer the Peterson because I run a triple-purpose pedalboard (double bass, electric guitar, electric bass) and the extra buffers in the TU-2 were dragging it down without putting the pedal in a true-bypass loop.

18. As others have said, the best deal around is the iPhone/iTouch version for $10.00. This is the only tuner I use now. I purchased the accessory cable so that I could plug a patch cord into my phone, but I find the internal mic of the iPhone is good enough for 99% of tuning needs.

19. Aurel

Aurel

Dec 11, 2008
    Paris, France
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Basses & Framus guitars, Pigtronix, Aguilar Amps, Orange Amps,
    Me too, except that but I use the accessory cable 99% of the time, as it allows me to tune silently and/or in a noisy environment.

20. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    It looks like they fixed the jack issue for the grey version. Ah well. I keep mine at home for setups. I use a Korg Pitchblack for gigs.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021