Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pete's Gonna Come Clean

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Woodchuck, Jan 22, 2003.

1. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Pete Rose has decided to admit to betting on baseball while he managed in exchange for reinstatement. Thoughts?

2. Is that all? Why even bother? Is he just going to get into the Hall of Fame or will he be allowed back into the leagues?

3. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    The problem is that he was an incredible baseball player and should be admitted into the hall of fame. The only difference with his gambling is that he got caught. I'm sure Michael Jordan has spent more than 100 times my salary while placing bets on the golf course.

I guess he's sticking to his guns and is giving MLB the proverbial bird.

4. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    He was one helluva baseball player, and he deserves to be in the Hall of Fame no matter what. If they want to keep him out of the leagues, that is fine with me. But the betting has no bearing on his skills, talent, or greatness in the sport. And those skills, talent, and greatness is what gets people into the Hall of Fame.

Keep him out of the league, fine with me.

Keeping him out of the Hall of Fame is robbing him of something that he very much deserves, and it robs everyone else of knowing how good he is if they ever go to the Hall of Fame.

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I don't really care to get into a long drawn-out thing here but I just want to say that there is most definitely a difference between Jordan betting on his golf games and Pete Rose betting on major league baseball while he is coaching a major league baseball team. This is not a statement about him getting into baseball or the hall of fame but I just felt like the inherent flaw in that statement should be pointed out.

brad cook

6. Yogi Bear

Aug 14, 2000
    I really don't think there is any flaw in what I said. It's fairly well known that MJ loves to gamble, not only on golf.

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I don't really care one way or the other but figured I'd just point this out: point spreads. Even if he bets to win, he could affect by how much.

8. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Unless you're saying MJ bet on the NBA it's flawed, like DigMe said.

9. Yogi Bear

Aug 14, 2000
    I guess we can agree to disagree on the matter of MJ.

I guess I could have named any number of professional atheletes for that matter who have bet on their team, or themselves for that matter.

10. JohnL

JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    My .02, if he gets in, they should have Shoeless Joe Jackson's statue ready as well.

11. deadweeds

deadweeds

Oct 28, 2002
    Harbor Beach,MI
    Pete Rose gambled and got banned from MLB...many MLB players today use steriods and only get a fine....they go after an opposing player sometimes in a violent matter and only get a suspension...and then in hockey fighting only gets you 5 minutes in the box....sure every sport is different but I believe that what you do outside of your profession is your business....maybe I don't know the whole story.....:confused:

12. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    You should take a look at SJJ's stats from that World Series. He was the only one who played worth a damn. As for Pete, they say that you should consider what he did on the field, but I also think that you should consider off the field. OTOH, if his jersey, caps, and spikes are in, then so should he. BTW, I think that SJJ should get in before him.

13. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

As an old codger, I take a stricter stance on gambling when one is an active member of a pro or even amateur sports team. I feel even the appearance of impropriety negates all the amazing achievements in Rose's exceptional career.

Whether he bet for or against his team, the doubt his behavior raised has forever sullied his reputation. Do we put such persons in any Hall of Fame? I don't think so. The Hall of Fame ideally should be only for those with exemplary behavior. If activities in their private lives damage the credibility of the sport in any way, then they do not belong in a Hall of Fame. If doubt exists as to whether Rose bet on his own team, it brings into question the results of every game his team played while he was a member.

If he does go into the Hall of Fame, then he should have a special designation...that of high achieving athlete who threw it all away. Nah! Better not to have him there at all.

14. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md

15. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md

16. Yogi Bear

Aug 14, 2000
    I see what your saying about Michael Jordan, and I do not have any concrete proof to support my argument either. In hindsight I guess he was a poor example to illustrate a point. As far as other atheletes are concerned, here is a blurb from the Sporting News...

Two NFL stars, Paul Hornung and Alex Karras, were suspended a generation ago for betting on their own teams. They admitted to the occasional wager, were reinstated, did play again, and Hornung earned election to the Pro Football Hall of Fame....

Granted they didn't bet as much as Rose, but who's to say how much is too much.

17. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I thought that Shoeless Joe was not involved in the Black Sox situation other than being on the team. I could be (and probably am) wrong, but I thought he was proven to be ignorant of what the other players were doing.

I also thought that there was never any proof that Rose bet on baseball games, nor was there any admission on his part. I was under the impression that he denied the allegations and that no-one every really challenged him in a court of law, only the court of public opinion. I'm probably wrong about that, too.

IMO if he actually admits to betting on games then he deserves the ban from the league and therefore the Hall of Fame. That can not be excused.

If Rose gets in, Shoeless Joe should get in, too. I have been a Phillies fan since the mid/late 70s and early 80s I vividly remember going to the Vet (back when it was "new") to see one of my favorite stars play greatly and help win a World Series (remember "The Catch" in that post season from Bob Boone and Pete Rose?). So I'm very biased even though I concede that his likeness will be wearing a Reds cap.

As a matter of fact, I was there at the Vet when he was playing with the visiting Reds against the Phillies and he konked his 3,000th hit. The whole stadium gave him a 10 minute standing ovation. It was awesome. Then a couple years later he came to the Vet as a Phillie and helped us win the World Series!

So I'm a bit biased..... :)

18. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md

19. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    then again, this happened in a time when the public was more willing to trust the word of someone coming clean publicly about the wrongs they "tried not to do but were forced to". i wonder if this happened now would anyone believe him?

20. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX

BADABING!!!

Good ol' Bop hit the nail on the head, if I do say so myself. In my opinion, if he were inducted into the Hall of Fame, it would drop the overall integrity of the Hall.

I have to say that this is (or should be) decided in much the same way as the MVP or Golden Glove recipient is decided. Take for instance this past year when Alex Rodriguez (of the Texas Rangers) had far better numbers than Miguel Tejada (of Oakland A's), but it was still Tejada who got the golden glove because he didn't just have great numbers, but he helped his team to win. It's a far-fetched relationship, but to me its much the same.

Rose's personal life tarnished his image and the image of MLB. For him to be inducted into the Hall just dumbs it down.