1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Petition to Bring Back the Non-Reverse 'Birds?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PBnJBassist, Aug 3, 2012.

1. PBnJBassist

PBnJBassist

Mar 8, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    I don't know about everyone else, but I've been fighting GAS extra hard to avoid purchasing anything on a whim. However, a Non-Reverse Thunderbird has always been at the top of my list, even though I am a "Fender-Guy" when it comes to basses. I know there are other producers that replicate it (and faithfully, too) such as Cataldo and Bach. However, I was wondering if anyone else here would like to see Gibson or/and Epiphone re-release a Non-Reverse bass again? Even the Epiphone re-release would be nice (at least to me) since I would actually prefer the reverse split-coil pickup and jazz bass configuration.

Who's on board? If there are enough replies, hopefully, Epiphone (and/or Gibson) will take note of the demand and supply. It's a very thin, next-to-zero, long shot. But heck, I'd rather this at least hit a 5th page full of "Hell Yeah!" replies and e-mail Epiphone once a week or so until we get some more NR-Birds!

2. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    What on earth makes you think Gibson cares what some bass players think?
    They build what they build. Take it or leave it.
    You just have to be ready when they throw something out there.
    People always say I will buy it if they build it. But when they do, no one buys them.
    Look at the Ripper reissue, they are still hanging on shelf's 2 years later.
    5 string T bird? They couldn't give them away.
    LP Gold Top, same thing

3. PBnJBassist

PBnJBassist

Mar 8, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Just looked up the Ripper bass... I understand why no one would buy that. Did a bit of digging and the 5-string T-Bird was offered (the Gibby one) only as a Studio Edition, which used a set-neck vs. neck through and slightly smaller body - read the reception didn't float with most T-Bird fans just because of the neck. It was also priced around the $800 area and the Rippers (ugly as they are TO ME) I'm seeing used around the $1-1.2k area.

Not saying you're wrong HD. You're actually right. Why would a company care about what the consumer wants? Especially a name like Gibson, they should be able to chunk out whatever they want and the fish will bite if they want it. Unfortunately, price does play a factor, so we'll agree to disagree on at least an Epiphone reissue. At least with an Epiphone reissue, the cost (for a standard 4-string) shouldn't exceed a market value of $399-499? I can't find anything on its original price when it was still in production, but seeing how the regular Epiphone T-birds sell (and are resold), I think people would be more apt to purchase one at just $400.

4. jordak

jordak

Apr 7, 2011
    Queens, NY
    William Murderface

5. patplaysbass

patplaysbass Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 7, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Soon-to-be-ex Musician's Friend/Guitar Center Employee
    MurderfaceMurderfaceMurderfaceMurderface

6. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Staff Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups

I have it from several scources that Gibson is reissuing a Non Reverse Thunderbird, probably this year - Over the past 18 months or so they've gone thru a number of short runs of about 400 pcs ea - I have a reisssue G-3 on order already.
    The clones, BaCH and Cataldo both are very viable lower priced options, and when set up with Thunderbucks or Lull pickups they are authentic to the original - Gibson is not likely to reproduce the '60s design pickup, a major component along with a set neck.........

7. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    That's funny because a decade + ago when I inquired to them directly via a custom shop purchase inquiry they told me they would not make me a bass because they didn't have tooling or fixturing. This new news kinda cheeses me off...but it's ok, since the one I built plays and sounds just fine. THEIR LOSS.

Sour grapes? Sure.

8. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    I had been working with the House of Guitars and Gibson to do a limited run of custom shop NRs. They even pulled specs from one of my NRs. The custom shop idea was dropped and we were told that a limited run of about 400 would be made. then came the flood and the NR went on the back burner. I have heard that they will be released this year but as a short scale version :rollno: if that is the case w t f are they thinking?

9. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    Gibson is a guitar company.
    Their entire bass sales in 5 years is a drop in the bucket to what they sell in one year of Les Pauls, SG's and acoustics.
    The non reverse topic comes up all the time. They look really cool but they are not fun to play. There is a reason they went to and stayed with the revere body style.

And you answered your own question.
    Price, you want a $400 bass
    I see this all the time on TB
    People want a custom run of a certain bass but they do not want to pay more then 1k for it.

10. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    Not fun to play? I disagree. NRs have been my main bass since '77 and they are a gas to play, not only that they are one of the best sounding and playing basses ever built. Not to mention you can get to the upper register on them, something that is impossible to do on a reverse. Believe me I am having fun here. http://youtu.be/8GdjtvKw1CI

11. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    There is a exception to everything. ;)
    The originals do sound great

12. superdick2112

superdick2112 Mile High Bassist Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2010
    The Centennial State
  13. aquateen

aquateen

Apr 14, 2005
    maryland
    for that price, it better be nice!

14. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
  15. 4andnomore

4andnomore

Nov 14, 2008
    They would sell so few of them that they'd have to charge something like 4 grand - and how many people are REALLY willing to pay that much for any kind of bass, lat alone a Gibson. Best bet is to go custom - you'll probably end up wit a better built anyway.

16. I would be interested in a Epi version!

17. knigel

knigel

Apr 20, 2009
    Hopedale, MA
    I'm the Squier of Fenderbirds
    5943713243_e65a65c6ed.

This is my Fenderbird that I created with an Epiphone NR. I like it quite a bit!

18. Bassmanmike1

Bassmanmike1 Sittin' In Limbo Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2011
    Marysville, CA
    And the fact that it's reliced. If I'm going to pay that much for a new bass, I want it to look new. Oh well different strokes..........:)