1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Petrounov JC bass??? Weird Wish-y find on the Bay

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bongomania, Jul 28, 2007.

1. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
  2. the tuner for the g string tuner looks hard to get at

3. MrSexy

MrSexy

Jul 10, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    looks like a turd

4. The part of the body that the bridge is mounted to will probably snap off someday, killing the person playing it :)

5. I see what the OP means by "Wish-y", though you know its not a Wish cause it looks like its well constructed :bag:

6. BassikLee

BassikLee Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    That bass is a candidate for the "what the hell were they thinking" award, IMO. I agree with Knife, that thing is just waiting to break. With the electronics compartment right there, how much wood is there to take all the string tension, sideways??? When Alvarez did a similar thing with their GTRs, at least it was up by the neck, and there was LOTS more bdy wood there. Still, no reason to have that cutout like that, on either of them. Add that to the "impossible to tune" G string, and I think I'll pass....

7. Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Anytown USA
    Well I've never heard of the builder, but I'll be the first to chime in and say I like it. :) The construction looks very good, and with the Wenge back I'm betting that will be plenty solid with the cutout.
    Hey I give him kudos for trying different shapes, I mean do we really need another P or J shape?
    And I think it's really an insult to put it the league of Wish, look at the construction and finish, miles ahead.
    If I was playing 5's I'd actually consider it.
    Dirk

8. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    I realized something: Flip the image over in your mind- the body of the bass is in the shape of the letters "JC".

9. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Whoa that's neat! :cool:

10. KeithPas

KeithPas Supporting Member

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    From a practical standpoint, it would be tricky finding a good spot to anchor if one likes to play close to the bridge.

11. MrSexy

MrSexy

Jul 10, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    It's was jesus's bass!

ivlucas likes this.
  12. Shooter McGavin

Shooter McGavin Dam you people. This is golf. Not a rock concert.. Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    Massachusetts
    The seller is a real tool as well.

When I mentioned that there was no information about the bass that was readily apparent on the web, and could he supply some basic specs/info, etc., I got this reply:

"Hi, You should be able to search the web as that's where I found some. We're simply helping a customer and don't know more than we've listed. thanks"

When I then commented that a Google and deja search produced no results, and that 'what he listed' was essentially nothing, I got this:

"Thanks for the rapid and kind answer. Yes, I believe a $5500 bass will easily sell itself for $1000+ , thanks for asking."

So I can see that A: The value of the bass is going up as we speak, and B: the 'customer' is sure getting his sales commission's moneys worth.

I'll keep trying.

Shooter

13. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

It is ugly IMO. I wouldn't be caught dead playing it.

14. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    You won't have to if you only play it on Easter.

15. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    I actually liked!! it seems to be very light and comfortable,it looks weird, but it seems it feels good.

16. Shawn Wainwrigh

Shawn Wainwrigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Hello I have a friend that just brought an JC bass over my house and This player has 3 of them,Alex is the builder and just finish another JC,Which I just play today,I'm a bassist that love punch,Clearity,Snappy highs,very good upper mids,I will say this bass I just played was so killer very well made,I will say as good as any Ken Smith,Fodera,The only thing that a bassplayer may not like is the body,But the sound and the way its made its a 150 in my book,It sound killer I'm talking killer.
    SW1

17. Interesting. I expected a JC bass to look like a cross :bag:

18. I didn't mean the above post in a sacreligious way. It was supposed to be funny. I apologize in advance to everyone who will get upset about it.

19. looks horribly uncomfortable to play sitting down