1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pets - Lost a Frog, gained a Cat

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by fourstringdrums, Nov 6, 2006.

1. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Well, yesterday morning my wife and I woke up to find that our little African Dwarf Frog who we bought at the beach last year, croaked (pun intended) :) Saturday night he was alive and well and then yesterday morning he was upside down on the bottom of his tank. It's just a tiny little frog, but it's still sad because it was our first pet.

Luckily for us though, we've been thinking about getting a cat. The night before the frog died, my wife got an email from an old high school friend who is getting rid of two Calico cats. How covenient :) He sent us pics so we could choose which one we wanted.

Here she is. Her name is Callie, but when she gets here we're calling her Reeses because her color reminds us of those Peanut Butter Cup Sundae's at Friendly's (black, brown & white - chocolate, peanut butter & vanilla ice cream) :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

She's about 15 months old, and in fine health. She just needs to catch up on her shots (I guess they never had the money to get them) and needs to be spayed even though she'll be an indoor cat. We're told she's very friendly, loves to be held, petted, and have people play with her. She doesn't claw anything except what she's allowed to, she's house trained, and he's never heard her hiss even once. Just look at the pics, she even looks happy and friendly :)

My wife works in the town he lives in (which is odd because it's over an hour and 15 minutes away from where they grew up) and she's getting her on Thursday.

If any of you cat owners have any tips, I'd love to hear them :)

2. jady

jady

Jul 21, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    Ive had a lot of cats and the trick I always use is to talk to them a lot. It creates an interaction between you and speeds up the bonding process.

I also groom my cats as kittens (yes I lick their heads and chew lightly on thier necks) this creates a parent/child relationship.

Enjoy your kitty, they are awesome companions and can be as loyal and playful as dogs if you treat them well.

3. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Oh we can't wait, we're going to spoil the hell out of this cat :) I know some people who's cat basically just lives in the house and only comes out to eat and go to the bathroom and doesn't have much interaction with the owners. We plan on giving it as much attention as we can. Pets are supposed to be enjoyed, not just as conversation pieces. "Cat walks into a room - Oh you have a cat - Yup" :)

4. Tom Smith

Tom Smith

Jul 26, 2006
    Columbus, GA
    Cats are funny, my moms cat sits in the front window and meows when people come up the driveway. Great watchcat.

5. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Tip #1 - don't feed her first thing in the morning when you wake up. After about three days she'll figure out that if she wakes you up, you'll be able to feed her. This is how you get a cat walking on your face at 3:00 AM. Ask me how I know!

6. Basshole

Basshole Inactive

Jan 28, 2005
    She looks like a sweetie. Enjoy. My best friend ever was a cat...

7. OysterBoy

OysterBoy

Sep 19, 2004
    Ontario, Canada
    Couldn't you take both? It may not be feasable, but, animals are capable of some heavy bonds with their family, so just take that into account when you take her. They may be a "lesser species", but they still have brains, and arguably, souls.

That aside, it's awesome that you're getting a cat. Theyre really great pets, especially when you dont have the time to exercise a dog.

8. Neb Maro

Neb Maro I don't think, but I still am.

Oct 20, 2006
    So. Cali
    I love my cat. She's about 7 months old and very much has a mind of her own. Give your cat space I'd advise. I don't think their attention hogs like dogs are. Keep her litter box in the same place and find things to keep her occupied if she's going to be indoors. Once they get a taste for the outdoors, they'll rip the screens out if they have to to get outside. (Lead me to just keeping a window cracked. Cheaper than a doggy door)

9. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    We could technically, but it's our first "real" pet and we don't want to overwhelm ourselves right off.

10. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Ultimately the choice is up to you, but let me say this: I never had ANY pets up until I got my kittens. We had our first for about a month before we got our second. I can honestly say that having a second cat around is really no more work than having one. They hardly eat any food in the first place, and it's just some more poop to scoop from the same box.

I've heard it from a lot of people that it's very healthy for the cats to have multiple felines in the house. It gives them someone to play with and keep them company when you're not around. Our kittens love to play and wrestle and chase each other. You can love them and care for them like a parent, but it's healthy (physically and mentally) to have a sibling, too. So, even if you don't get the other kitten that's related, just keep in mind that having another cat isn't the same as having another child, that is, it's not really twice the work. You'll also be doing your cat a favor in the long run. :)

(These is just my personal experience of course!)

11. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Groom her daily, keep the mats away from the fur.

One of my cats (simba) loves attention. My mom held a tupperware party, and Simba went downstairs and layed in the middle of the circle.
    He's cute as hell though.

Animals.jpg

Take a guess which one he is.
    HINT: He's wearing glasses.

12. its a cutie

13. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Very true. Maybe in the future we might get another one, but for now we just want one. As it is, I was never really a cat person, and I'm still not a HUGE fan. I like them, but they're not my first pet of choice, so I don't want to push it :)

With our work schedules someone is usually home anyway, so that cat won't be alone as much. I tend to do split shifts alot that have me home in the afternoon, or later shifts and my wife gets home relatively early.

We'll keep it in mind though :)

14. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY

Dude, that is kind of sick...:eek:

15. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Very cool. Again, I don't want to be pushy, just offering a suggestion. It's your call in the end!

16. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I have a question for you guys regarding litter: Do you flush or bag waste after you clean the litter box? I've heard, and the bag of litter we bought says not to flush the waste. We don't have a septic tank, we're on the town sewer system, but would it eventually clog pipes? Obviously we wouldn't flush the actual litter, just the clumps the cat leaves behind.

17. +1000000000000

18. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY

Definetly bag it and trash it. Flushing it is not a good idea. I just keep the left over plastic bags I get from walmart and the grocery store use those. That way you don't have to buy bags.

19. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    No problem, I'm open to all suggestions.

Oh, and All Hail Vigo.

20. jady

jady

Jul 21, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    Nah, its cool, I was fully clothed at the time :smug: