1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pettiness at the workplace

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Uncle K, Feb 29, 2016.

1. Uncle K

Uncle K The bass player doesn't get a sandwich Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    I don't want to get into too much detail but anyway: I had to drive a company vehicle today and this 50 something year old dude that makes like 26 bucks an hour threw a fit because I got assigned the vehicle he wanted.

It got me thinking about how so many reasonable (I guess I'm using the word loosely) people get so bent out of shape over trival things as soon as they punch in.

Thoughts?

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    His problems aren't your problems. Let him be.

Winfred and bholder like this.
  3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

We don't talk enough to others, lie too much, take ourselves too seriously and focus on unimportant things.
    In the end most of the misery we gather along our lives come from these behaviors.

4. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

I have found the best work gets done when people cease to worry about what anybody else thinks. Not giving a rip sounds like a bad thing, but if you don't give a rip in the right way, it's good. It's the freedom to be completely honest in your approach, and if somebody doesn't like it, you can be polite, take it in stride, and just not care at all what they think. It's liberating.

5. twinjet

twinjet Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Ignore list.

6. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    people get real territorial at jobs, especially drivers about vehicles and teachers about classrooms, it's lame, but expected

7. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Go postal?

pacojas likes this.
  8. Having spent a big chunk of my employment history behind the wheel of a large vehicle, I completely agree. But not with this:

I have no idea what context the OP is referring to, but imagine having the same desk, day in and day out, then find out someone else has been assigned there for the day.

And hey, OP. Fifty-something year old guys have the right of way. Get off our collective lawns!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
    Gravedigger Dav and bolophonic like this.
  9. I couldn't agree less with this. Regardless that I can order off the senior menu myself, this attitude of entitlement is causing no end of problems in today's society. Being fifty-something does not entitle us to anything. Maybe a little respect from our juniors but that is the extent of it. Throwing a tantrum over not getting "your" truck or "your" desk is petty and immature.

Felix1776 likes this.
  10. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    I'm so glad I'm my own boss.

11. blue4

blue4

Feb 3, 2013
    St. Louis area
    Hard to say without knowing the job site.

12. FronTowardEnemy

FronTowardEnemy It is better to go unnoticed, than to suck

Sep 19, 2006
    Plainfield Illinois
    50 years old and $26 per hour? I'd be pissed too.

13. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    This year was the year I made a conscious decision to stay away from those people, and actually followed through.

We've got one guy in particular where I work who I actually think has a sickness around this. He can't STOP complaining about how he and the staff are treated. Every single day, without fail, around the clock he's complaining how "They did this...," and "Now they're trying to do this...," and, "As if I don't work enough already...". On and on and on. And the guy earns over $100,000 a year and is looking forward to a great pension when he retires in a few more years. And this is his CHOSEN profession. Including the work I do as a musician I easily work 2X his hours and make a fraction of what he's making. I smile, nod, and walk away from him now. Every day. And sit at different tables than him in the cafeteria.

Some people are just miserable and it doesn't matter what's going on around them. Happiness and peace of mind have nothing to do with our surroundings or circumstances. I'm 100% certain of that. It has to do with how we process and deal with the things around us.

14. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    You take this a step further and enjoy just how much adopting this attitude will bother the people who insist on being angry and petty over every little thing. They can't stand to see anyone on the opposite end of the attitude spectrum, not blinded by anger and therefore still able to function.

Just look at the political climate these days. No one wants to have rationale discourse over issues or to put aside differences to work together and actually accomplish something. Too many actually people define success these days as "stopping someone else, anyone at all, from getting anything that he wants" rather than actually doing something useful.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
    Gaolee likes this.
  15. So, if you were in a position that required you to have an office assigned to you and you had been in that office for a couple of years, pics of family, etc, then one day you walk in and they say "Vince, you'll be at that cubicle for the next few days well, just because."

Would you feel it was petty when you couldn't find a stapler even though you know yours is right next to the paper clip dispenser on YOUR desk in YOUR office? Having been a driver and been in charge of over 40 of the pricks, you don't want to take a guy out of his "office" unless there's a darn good reason for it.

I could see how, if the OPs workplace always juggles vehicle assignments, I would agree with the petty immature stance.

MartinG1957 likes this.
  16. Uncle K

Uncle K The bass player doesn't get a sandwich Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    ....and the saga continues. I'm taking Joe's advice and blocking him out.

And just so you guys know. This is not "his" truck. Different vehicles get assigned daily.

17. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    yes! expect people to be petty and immature. until they prove you wrong. it's waaaay easier, imo

18. Thanks for the clarification. The guy is being a baby.

yodedude2 and MartinG1957 like this.
  19. ImNotJoel

ImNotJoel

Jan 12, 2014
    Connecticut
    I used to do power washing mainly for tractor trailers. The job entailed a driver/crew lead and two crew members. Now when you start you kind of drift until a crew lead says I want this guy. So I got on one great crew already, one of those if this guy likes you than you're good kind of deals. I am getting somewhere with this if you're still following.

One day someone calls out of another crew. Now I don't speak Spanish and 99% of the company is of Latin descent and speaks Spanish. About 30% I would say is fluent in English (typically Dominicans or Puerto Ricans since they learn English in school). Or guys who have been living in the states a while. So I don't know what the word is around the place because I don't speak it but my crew lead was saying a couple people who are teritorial let's say wasn't happy the new guy is on this crew. Apparently it's two people who find reasons to complain about new members. So to appease them they have me fill in the spot. The boss says ok we are going to give you Joel we hear great things about him....So I found out who one of the disgruntled employees was because he was yelling at the boss don't know what he said sure it was descriptive and just left. The crew lead was in disbelief because he worked with this guy a long time. He just bailed. (This is long skip to the bottom for focal point but it makes more sense if you read)

Now these workers who complained made 16 an hour when the rest of us made 10. This was back breaking out in the worst elements kind of job that would be about 12-16 hours a day. They used to give workers raises then stopped. So the older workers made good money and the rest would not. I can only speculate but this job hired immigrants and didn't care about criminal records. So for many people when they signed up they knew they where lifers here (people told me this). You didn't need to know English and for many people ten an hour with all the hours you got was fantastic.
    So this guy who left this job over working with a new guy well put with the new guy he didn't like but never met.

When I tell people this they ask if it may have been because I am white and here's some gringo here working your job. I don't because his crew lead was also white and honestly at that place I never felt like anyone cared about skin color or your language as long as you could read their body language and do your job. But for him he been there years so 12-16 hours a day 7 days a week. That job is his life so he starts drama to make it interesting. When he complained about a new guy this probably isn't the first time to spite him they put that very new guy in his crew to work with him.

He may have been worried the more new people they hire they may start making cuts to the long time employees pay to hire more people. I am sure he felt miserable not having any options or free time. So I can't blame him for snapping and actually hope he found something better. For some people though their job is their life and they get threatened when new people come in. For people like that it's like having a stranger just walk into their home sit on their couch and put their feet up on the table.

Monster Truck likes this.
  20. I had such a big problem with this when I returned from Asia.
    Over there, unless you're in Japan or Singapore, a lot of folks are in the "nevermind" frame of mind.

People I worked with here at home got so bent out of shape over the silliest things IMHO, and then they conspired against me, because I wasn't taking these petty things seriously.

Meanwhile, they're making leaps & bounds at being irresponsible. One of the main instigators would be out on "personal business" about half of the week, and another was constantly having to go let her child into their house, because he forgot his key.

Anyway, my last boss pretended to be on my side, but then screwed me over hard, but I wouldn't stand for it.
    It ended with my claiming them as negligent & when I wouldn't voluntarily sign my discharge papers, I made the right move. They paid dearly for ejecting me, and all because the boss was pandering to the sycophants that were out to get me.

ImNotJoel and Monster Truck like this.