Pewter Miniatures and Good Paint for Miniatures

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by BlastGatr, Nov 19, 2015.

1. BlastGatr

BlastGatr

Jan 15, 2014
    Central Indiana
    Ok so I found one thread on here from 2011 about miniatures, but it was more of a "hey who else likes miniatures" thread. Anyway, as the title suggests, I was wondering if any of your fine individuals know of companies that make quality pewter miniatures (my home is too hazardous for plastic, having 3 playful cats and all), and what paint you guys use? I use super cheap acrylic paint and clear it so that the paint doesn't peel off when I grab them, but it's not fun making sure everything goes smoothly. Naturally, being an off-topic thread, its possible no one will have any insight, I'm just trying to avoid going to another forum.

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Do you have any miniatures that look like your avatar? Can you share some examples of your work?
    I don't have the patience to be good at this, but I wish I did. I think my hands are too big also.

-Mike

3. Maybe T-Bird could respond to this thread. T-Bird has posted in the past some photos of model railroad that look so real. Fantastic work.

TBird1958 likes this.
  4. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Staff Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    The trick is to clean them chemically first, it removes mold release and casting residue along with finger oil left behind. At the minimum some 99% Isopropyl Alcohol and a soft toothbrush should work, wear latex gloves to prevent redepositing finger oil. A metal friendly primer is your next step, check the hardware store for a rattle can. Again, wear gloves and if possible attach the figures to a base so you can shoot paint from several angles. Your acrylics should bond to the painted surface better, overspray your finished work with a clear, dull fixative like Testors Dullcote.

5. BlastGatr

BlastGatr

Jan 15, 2014
    Central Indiana
    I do not. It would be sweet if I did, but Moon Knight isn't a very common superhero, so I doubt I'd be able to find an unpainted figure of him.

I don't know why I didn't think of wearing gloves. I have some, so I feel like that should've crossed my mind. I've always cleared my figures, since I use some of them for an RPG group. I'll have to look into a primer that works well and chemically cleaning them.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 26, 2021