1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

PF-20T tube rolling strategy

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Seth Miller, Sep 10, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Seth Miller

Seth Miller

Jul 10, 2014
    Colorado
    image. So, I finally bought one. Love it. I'm completely new to the tube rolling game. I've attached a pic of the tubes I ordered to experiment with.

What is the best way to go about this? I'm thinking: leave the ruby in v2 and start swapping out v1 to start. Or would changing out v2 make a bigger difference.

Also, what combination of the new ones would work well together? I suppose if I had more money and was more clever it have bought pairs of each of these.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    In my PF-50T, the only one that makes any difference to my ears is V1. And I did a little tube swapping myself, with a new Tung Sol and a couple of NOS tubes, and I thought the Tung Sol and NOS tubes made it too bright and tight. But it's fun and doesn't cost much, and it's certainly less expensive than a crack bender, so have at it :D

3. Seth Miller

Seth Miller

Jul 10, 2014
    Colorado
    Thanks!

4. Muckaluck

Muckaluck

Oct 11, 2005
    Whitby, Ontario
    I would be interested to hear how that gold lion sounds compared to the others. Please keep us updated.

5. Seth Miller

Seth Miller

Jul 10, 2014
    Colorado
    I haven't really had a chance to turn it up enough to get a really good feel. It seems like it's not lacking in the warmth dept from what I can tell. It's in v1 now as a matter of fact.

6. Mikeee71

Mikeee71 Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Tung sol's will brighten the tone up a bit but I always felt they were thin sounding in the lows and mids! I would go JJ's
    Be careful with the long plates some are very sensitive to vibration.

7. Seth Miller

Seth Miller

Jul 10, 2014
    Colorado
    Right now I have tube amp doctor power tubes in. Preamp tubes are gold lion v1 and a tube amp doctor. I'm really liking the way it sounds. One thing I noticed with the stock tubes is that I was hearing a sort of vibrato effect that wasn't pleasing on the lower notes. Too much of a good thing maybe. Now it's still appreciable but tightened up quite a lot. Very musical. Idk if I'm explaining it well.