1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

PF-50 or Subway D-800 +?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SpirosGer, Jan 12, 2017.

1. SpirosGer

SpirosGer

Jan 12, 2017
    Greece
    Hello guys ,
    I m new in this forum ! I would like to ask ,
    What amp between a Mesa Boogie Subway D-800+ Head and an Ampeg PF-50T Bass Head
    you
    would choose and why?
    I know they are different amps but because they cost similar what should i get?
    (For prog rock/metal)
    (I want an small amp for recordings , small gigs etc )

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  2. Between those two for metal the mesa by far its a monster of an amp voiced perfect for metal imho

3. Doner Designs

Doner Designs Steve Doner Gold Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Metro Chicago Area
    Doner Designs is an alias for Steve Doner
    Both are great amps but obviously are completely different. Eventually you might want to get both. I would start with the Mesa because it will never let you down in terms of having sufficient power for any situation. You might also consider the GK Fusion 800 which is sort of the best of both worlds. Has three 12AX7 preamp tubes and an 800 watt class D power section. It also comes in a 500 watt version which may be plenty for you.

I have the GK and the Ampeg and might flip my Markbass combo for the Mesa 800D+. Hard to go wrong with any of the three, but if you will have any large gigs the Ampeg may not be enough unless you DI to the house. Super cool features on the Ampeg include the fact that it can be used safely without a speaker and there are XLR outputs both before and after the power section - so you can send the power tube tone to your recordings or to the house sound system.

4. nostatic

nostatic

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    A low-power, hencho-en-China Tube head? Maybe as a 2nd or 3rd head, but it likely won't cut it on a loud gig. Or even a medium gig. I had a 50W tube power amp section that I was checking out and it could barely keep up in a jazz quartet.

Compared to an 800 watt, 2-ohm stable, made in Petaluma head with a 5 year transferable warranty and great tone? I'd take the Mesa every day of the week. Ymmv...

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Well since you went there, with all due respect to Mesa, let's see Mesa's parts manifest and find out how many parts actually come from the US. Let's get real here, my brother...ASSEMBLED in Petaluma is the correct term.

You do have a point about 50w, though. It's plenty for me in most situations, but it is a 50w amp and certainly not the loudest amp ever made. That said, I love my PF-50T and it's become my main amp since I got it.

6. blubass

blubass

Aug 3, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Current: Blackstar, DR strings, Nady. Previous endorsements with: GK, Rotosound, Ernie Ball, Cleartone, EMG, Dean, Dava Picks, Rebel Straps, Dickies
    This is an argument that goes on with classic car and hot rod parts constantly!

A person could scour the US for a 100% US made amp manufactured using only US made parts.... or play an amp that is reliable and has a good reputation regardless of origin of manufacture.

I'm a small arms repairer in the Army, and some of our completely US made weapons are notoriously unreliable! :cool: keeps me busy though..... don't even get me started on my US made Big Mac cheeseburgers... lol :thumbsup:

That was all tongue in cheek, stay your weapons!

AstroSonic, murphy, NigelD and 2 others like this.
  7. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Mesa, because an additional 750 watts.

tbz, Aqualung60, lomo and 3 others like this.
  8. SpirosGer

SpirosGer

Jan 12, 2017
    Greece
    Thank you very much all for your replies! So as it seems most people here prefer mesa.But again its a full tube amp vs class D amp . I dont care about how much loud will be the amp so i dont care about how many watts will be . Instead i want to take the amp with the "Best" sound quality thats my point .

9. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    You're asking for opinions on tone. If watts don't matter (of course they will if you ever play live), then go audition both and buy the one you like best.

There is no "the best". There is only the best for our needs.

Fun Size Nick and GregC like this.
  10. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    there is no "best" between these two amps - only which you prefer. and it's easy to say you don't care about volume - does that mean you won't be playing with any bands with this amp? 50 watts for a small prog rock gig might mean no one hears you without PA support - prog rock isn't exactly folk or a jazz quartet.

no one i've met has ever said mesa doesn't have great quality sound, but people love the ampeg, too. i'd go for the mesa, myself - great sound quality and lots more volume.

looks like we got to "there is no the best" at the same time but you posted first :cool:

AstroSonic likes this.
  11. JJR58

JJR58 Dirty Bird Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY.
    You just simply need to hear them both, if you can.

Kitsapbass likes this.
  12. SpirosGer

SpirosGer

Jan 12, 2017
    Greece
    Ok thank you very much guys i appriciate this !

13. campbems

campbems Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    I've owned and gigged the Mesa D800+ and it is an amazing amp head that will do basically anything gig size wise. The Ampeg head you mentioned for me woulf be only for recording or practice. It would never handle anything I would need otherwise.

Lovep likes this.
  14. nostatic

nostatic

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    well, since you went there... ;)

Sure - we live in a global economy, so it is easy to split semantic hairs. The reality is that with the Mesa you have a 5-year warranty, know exactly where it was "assembled", and get excellent customer service - in fact, you can talk directly with one of the D800 designers here on TB.

And the Mesa is $200 less. But if you gotta have tubes and the Ampeg vibe, and don't need a lot of volume, then PF50T is probably the best bang for the buck.

15. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Syracuse Ut
    This is why I still love Talkbass after 16+ years, adult discussions and solid information by both biased and unbiased (really, aren't we all a little biased) but knowledgeable and experienced pro's and non-pro's.

16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Same with the PF-50T, although you have to contact the office to talk to the engineering staff. Not sure how knowing the city it's built in is relevant, though.

The volume thing is this fella's biggest sticking point IMHO. Would not be my first choice for metal, except for recording.

Plutonium244 likes this.
  17. Plutonium244

Plutonium244 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2015
    Wisconsin
    Of course it's all subjective... I have the PF-50T and like it a lot, but my impression is that, for your needs and musical preferences, the Mesa 800D is probably the better choice. For me, it'd be the PF-50T (although I do have an 800W class D head too, which I do use regularly especially for higher volume gigs).

18. campbems

campbems Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    I would think there other ampeg heads out there that would be a better comparison for the Mesa D-800. They have lightweight 500 and 800 watts Class D heads. Personally I still think that the Mesa is alot better sounding amp than anything Ampeg offers that's not in their Pro lineup.

19. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    What's a small prog/metal gig look like?

AstroSonic and burk48237 like this.
  20. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    You asked for an opinion, and, like certain orifices, we all have one. Here's mine: they'll both sound lovely at low volume, so I'll take the cheaper one with 16-fold more power, more features and better service that weighs less, takes up less space and is more versatile.

McFarlin likes this.