1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

PF-500 through Hartke TP 4x10?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by westonc, Jan 15, 2018.

1. westonc

westonc

Jan 23, 2012
    TL;DR:
    • Before buying a PF-500, I'd like to verify whether it's one of the old ones that had the problems with "cutting out".
    • I'd also like to know whether my cab could handle a PF-500.
    • I'd rather tote around an 11lb PF-500 than my 44lb solid-state SVT-350H.

There's an Ampeg PF-500 at a local retailer. I didn't know anything about the PF-500 when I came across it, but I can go back to the store & figure out how old the amp is from the serial #.

I'd be pushing the PF-500's 300 Watts RMS @ 8 Ohms through my Hartke Transporter 4x10 which has 300 Watts peak @ 8 Ohms (I haven't found info on the 4x10's RMS Wattage). I'm concerned the PF-500 would be too powerful for this 4x10.

I use my Ampeg 350H+Hartke TP4x10 setup quite frequently—for band practice/rehearsals at church—and drag it around to a handful of gigs every year. The XLR line out on my 350H has started buzzing, but that's the only thing wrong with my setup. So for Sunday stuff, I run through a Radial DI to FOH & use Avioms for monitoring.

For practice at home, I just use headphones through a computer/interface setup.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
  2. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    you can connect any cab to any head as long as there are no impedance issues.
    If your cab gets too much power, it'll start farting out. Dial back on the master or bass pot and you're fine.

When you're sure that your head has a lot more power than the cab, make sure to find out how much you can feed it.
    Carefully and slowly increase volume until the first signs of farting appear, then dial back a little and make a mental note of the gain, bass and master pots positions.
    When you find yourself with not enough cab in a loud environment, you might not hear the warning signs (the farting cab) and go too far - that's about the only thing that can blow a speaker.

westonc likes this.
  3. blubass

blubass

Aug 3, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Current: Blackstar, DR strings, Nady. Previous endorsements with: GK, Rotosound, Ernie Ball, Cleartone, EMG, Dean, Dava Picks, Rebel Straps, Dickies
    I have an old PF500, never cut out once, through both 8 and 4 ohm cabs. Also, the cab will handle the head just fine as long as you understand what the speakers are telling you, and comfortable with knowing when to stop with the master volume. Even the 200 watts you're putting into that cab now can pop a speaker. You can run 1 watt into a 1000 watt handling cab, or 1000 watts into a 100 watt cab; so long as you are careful with the EQ and master volume.

Are you a fan of the tone from the Hartke? It is a bottom tier cab that's fairly dated. As long as you like it, that's fine. As a very general rule... a good head can sound bad through a bad cab, but a bad head can sound okay/good through a good cab.

westonc likes this.
  4. westonc

westonc

Jan 23, 2012
    Thanks for the info.
    Yeah, I know it's a cheap mid-'90s cab, but the biggest place I usually play is a cinderblock prison gym. Other than that, I'm usually in rooms much smaller than a gym. The Hartke is the first & only bass cab I've owned. The only other cab I've really played through very much is a friend's '60s 2x15 Portaflex (yes—2x15—see pics). That sounds magnificent, but I've been fine with my old Hartke cab with its aluminum-cone speakers.

Attached Files:

5. westonc

westonc

Jan 23, 2012
    Thanks for your quick reply and for the helpful tips.