1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

PF-800 mute spkrs when using headphones

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GGman, Dec 24, 2017.

1. GGman

GGman

Oct 17, 2008
    Is there a way to mute the speaker output when using the headphone output on the Ampeg PF-800 bass amp? I would expect it to be automatic when plugging in headphones or a switch.

2. Yes, you unplug the speaker cable from the back of the amp.

3. GGman

GGman

Oct 17, 2008
    Thanks. I already knew that. :) I should nave stated that in my first post. Maybe a mod to interrupt the signal going into the amp section with a new headphone jack that will do the switching?

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  4. ThisBass

ThisBass

Aug 29, 2012
    Germany
    Very often the power amp is used to power the headphones in parallel mode to the cab.
    In this case there is no way to automatically mute the cab if headphones are used.
    You might install a switch that was connected between power amp and cab for muting the cab but you also can easily unplugg the cab that gives you just the same effect

GGman likes this.
  5. GGman

GGman

Oct 17, 2008
    thanx for the info

6. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    At the this power level, switches in the jacks are not going to be reliable enough. Also, neither terminal is at ground so any switching would need to be fully isolated.

The easy and safe way to do this is to simply unplug the speaker cable.

jam.majors, Aqualung60 and VerryBerry like this.
  7. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    ...and unplug the speaker cable with the amp turned off.

It’s common sense but best said.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
  8. Maybe just turn up the Preamp to the level you need and turn down the Master to 0????
    I have one and can try it! Let you know.

9. GGman

GGman

Oct 17, 2008
    Fluid, that did not work. Appears that unplugging the speaker cable from the amp is the only way without a big mod.

10. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Of course that wasn't going to work...

There's no reason to modify anything, it was intended that the speaker cable be unplugged for this kind of operation, not a big deal (or any deal at all for that matter IMO)

BassmanPaul likes this.