1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

PF500 dreaded Fault light on...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by deekay911, Aug 17, 2012.

1. deekay911

deekay911 Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Charleston SC
    I've got a PF500 I bought used, so therefore technically without a warranty. Now I have the dreaded fault light on and nothing else...seems to be a well documented issue on here. Hopefully Ampeg acknowledges that..has anyone had any luck getting Ampeg to fix under warranty when they didnt actually have a warranty?

I am used to GB customer service, and they would have taken care of this in a heartbeat. I sent Ampeg an email, let's see how where their morals lie?

2. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I want to be Tesla (tinkerer at Dayton Amp Co)
    They wont be able to help you unless you were the original owner. Their warranty is pretty clear. I lost the output section in mine. It was traded around TB a few times so even when I'd found the original owner, the warranty was still void.

3. deekay911

Nov 4, 2007
    Charleston SC
    Great.... :crying:

4. arai

arai Banned

Jul 16, 2007
    Good luck

5. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    well, you sent Ampeg an email on this, so see what they say before drawing any further conclusions.

now, that being said upfront, the reports here on TB for this issue (failed PF500/350 and 7Pro's), on units that were used and out of warranty are not particularly positive. Ampeg/Loud state their warranty policy very clearly, so it's a buyer beware situation.

I can't imagine that this will not negatively impact the market for used PF500/350/7Pros. If a buyer was checking the used market, and did any homework at all, they would certainly see that used units of these amps were something of a high risk purchase.

*disclosure: my PF500 went into fault on a gig last Sat, and I am going to replace it with another amp no matter what. This failure was after 15+ gigs (and nearly as many rehearsals), using the exact same settings, with no issues at all.

I will not deal with an amp that I can't trust to work reliably. there are too many other reliable options for bass players to necessitate such a compromise these days.

good luck in your interactions with Ampeg/Loud over this, and please let us know how you make out.

6. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    I would think that the amp should be reparable. Loud may well have a standard charge for the repair.

7. pfschim

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    I seem to recall from a prior post the repair involved a replacing the main board and Ampeg guided the owner to a tech to do the replacement.

The potential problem with this is that, given the cost of the amp, particularly used, the cost of repair (board plus tech labor) could be a significant % of the used price.

lets see how the OP makes out. Hopefully he will report back.

8. I'd say the prevelance of these posts will make it hard to sell one used on talkbass for sure... at basically any price.

9. pgk

pgk

Aug 19, 2007
    the problem with these fleawight amps is you can't just replace one bad part. nooo, you have to replace an entire board instead of a bad resistor or 2, an entire power section rather than just a bad cap, and so on. and that's why i avoid them all like the plague. you just can't Fix them easily, plus you have to send the dam thing off to a place that has the proper boards and such. screw that! gimme a led sled design, tube or ss, any day of the week. that weighs something and isn't a surface mount design.

10. Actually there are a few Lead Sled designs that almost meet the micro criteria but with the benefits of a Led Sled. Both my Mesa Walkabout and Eden WT400 are 13 lbs and close to the same size as a MarkBass LM III. The Mesa will do 500 W RMS at 2 ohms! The PF500 weighs in at 11 lbs and has a larger footprint than both of them. I still enjoy the sound of the Ampeg PF500 for my stoner rock project though.

11. pfschim

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    I think that is one of the positive functions of TB. To provide a space for bassplayers to come and get some insight into all things related to playing as related by other bassplayers (and not just MI manufacturers and others who just want to sell stuff). That would include real info on used gear.

12. pgk

pgk

Aug 19, 2007
    it's the biggest problem with class D heads; you have to replace Modules instead of Parts.

13. deekay911

Nov 4, 2007
    Charleston SC
    Update: Ampeg emailed back, and surprise, surprise, they directed me to a repair centre for a full price repair. Its incredible that they can screw up the design to create an epidemic (in relative terms I know) fault, and then refuse to stand behind their products. Would Genz-Benz do this? I don't think so..

In a way I am glad, because even a new or repaired PF500 is useless to me. I refuse to gig with gear that I don't have 100% confidence in, so I would never be able to use the stupid thing, and it would be worthless on the used market also.

So now I have an 11 lb Ampeg paperweight.

Let's take ideas on how have some fun with this thing - maybe I'll video me taking a sledgehammer to it? Any other ideas?

14. pgk

pgk

Aug 19, 2007
    Loud's ownership of Ampeg reminds me of AMF's takeover of Harley-Davidson and the CBS takeover of Fender. simply Pathetic management of a once great company, here's to hoping they get their **** together, lose Loud for good, and FAST

15. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    I have posted this before and I would harp on them to honor it.

http://www.ampeg.com/faq.html

Still publicly posted on their site with a LOUD 2012 date stamp at the bottom.

Edit: I do have a copy saved in Word format. I would suggest you do the same.

16. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    With respect, this applies equally well to designs using different class operation.

17. pfschim

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    sorry, but not surprised, to hear about Ampeg/Louds response. That seems to be consistent with the experience of others with used, or out of warranty gear.

They are acting in accordance with their clearly stated warranty terms though. Just does not seem like it serves Ampeg's long term strategy. IMO, they could really cement some great long term customer relationships with more flexible/friendly warranty terms.

Do you happen to know what the cost is of the repair by any chance ? Given the relatively low price of these amps new (and therefore the internal parts), perhaps the repair cost will not be overwhelming.

good luck, and thanks for posting the Ampeg reply. It does not help you much, but it will help others to make better, more informed decisions when buying used - particularly used gear with noted failure rates and limited warranties.

Please do post a video if you do decide to take a sledgehammer to it. :D

18. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Not too long ago Markbass started allowing warranty transfers with the original receipt, and this is a huge reason why I am now playing their amps. GK lost me as a customer for this, and Ampeg and Orange and EA likewise.

Just my two pence but I won't own a modern (~ last 3 years) amp without a warranty and will try to avoid selling them just to avoid making someone unhappy.

Another big reason to be a fan of the major PA amp companies (Crown/QSC).

19. CnB77

CnB77

Jan 7, 2011
    NJ
    Yup, this has to do with manufacture of electronics across the board, not just class D amps. You trade user-serviceability and large physical size for disposability and small physical size

20. Use to have a VHS (VHS?) of two techs ventilating a pair of 3Pro's abandoned for the repair bill. Hooked them up to a portable gen set and each took 40-50 rounds. :)