1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

pf500 paired with 2 svt410he's - opinions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sublab, Aug 9, 2012.

1. At last!!!

Next week a brand new PF500 will be the new head on my rigg. I already ordered it so opinions won't change anything anymore, but those of you that are willing to share some PF500/svt410he (2 of those) love can hopefully ease the wait a little for me.

I just can't wait to hear my Precision through an Ampeg head and the 2 ampeg cabs.

My rigg is close to being finished: all I need still is a good 'drive' pedal, a simple delay and a flanger.....

Thanks TB community for all the replies and advices that eventually led me to buying the stuff I bought, much appreciated!!

2. I think you will dig the head.

3. TC.65

TC.65

Dec 20, 2008
    Carbondale IL
    Congrats that should be an awesome combination enjoy!!!

4. Dan55

Dan55

Apr 26, 2006
    Atlanta
    You'll be happy. I sometimes run my PF500 through one SVT410HE and it sounds great!

Dan

5. Just did my last rehearsal with an Eden Nemesis head. I've played with this head for the past two years and eventhough I've only had my Precision for a few weeks I never could dial in a tone that lasted for more than a couple of jams. I was always tweaking the EQ (not always knowing what I was doing) and the parametric EQ, gain and compressor/enhancer knobs, but it always sounded pretty 'hollow' or something. Not even my new P bass changed that. Anyway, someone else will hopefully get the most out of it. For me it's now time to throw off any doubt left in my tone and go cook up some hefty mojo.

Must....fast forward...to....next....week

6. The PF500 arrived today and will try it out tonight. Looking forward to hear it!

7. jarrydee

jarrydee

Oct 22, 2011
    Michigan
    I am thinking about sending my SVT Cl back and getting one of these, let us know how it sounds please!!

8. Jerry I really dig my PF-500. You should go try one out along with a svt-7.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Do I really like the PF heads and 7 Pro? Yes I do. Would I off an SVT-CL for one? NEVER! But I would have both ;)

10. jumbodbassman

jumbodbassman Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Stuck in traffic -NY & CT
    Born Again Tubey
    svt 7 is the real deal. all the power one would ever need and great ampeg tone. but still not a 70's ampeg tube head. nothing is...

11. johnnynitro

johnnynitro

Jan 14, 2012
    I have the pro7 With the 2 svt410he's(2x410s) You'll love the 2x410he's I often think the 500watt PF would be a great mach too !!!

12. Should be super. Look fwd to some pics too :)

13. I plugged in my P only to turn up everything and hear no sound whatsoever... I check everything, but not even a hiss. All the posts on TB regarding problems with the PF500 race through my head, I'm starting to think this new head is a bad one as well. Then I look at my bass and to my surprise I hadn't put in my cable...

EQ set flat - mid selector on 3/no compression/gain at 1/volume at 10/both ultra's off/no fx.... Tone knob on my P open and open sesame! The sheer difference in tone with my ex Nemesis head is really big. Everything I do on the bass is defined and present. I cut out some bass, add a little treble, select mid freq 3 and push the mids 'til 2, then bring back the bass 'til 1 or 2, just a little compression and leave the Precision tone knob rolled back about 2/5ths: right there I found my first Ampeg/Precision thunder. The cabs actually sounded like they should for the first time.

I'm sure there's a lot of exploring yet to be done, eventhough it's a fairly simple head. The mid section is pretty subtle, but overall the EQ, even in its extreme settings, retains its musicality. The Eden Nemesis never really 'became' musical, even while it sported a parametric EQ. The PF500 sounds great right out of the box and with the little tweaking time I've had with it so far the results have been very good. Paired with my 2 SVT410he's it feels like made in Bottomania!

Pics and more Swahili in due time.

14. The PF500 is great! I leave the compression at 10, gain to about 2, bass at 2, mids at 1, mid selector at 2, treble at 1,5 and master at 12. With the tweeters on the 2 SVT's nearly all the way up the sound from my P is really kicking in. The amp has some very decent sounds and the EQ can be very subtle, especially the mid selector. So far I found the ultra high and ultra low switches to be rather unusefull, they seem to eat the meat away of my sound, but I haven't really figured how how to use them best yet. I've stood next to the amp when playing for a couple of hours and never heard the fan noise some speak of, it's pretty much quiet. So far this amp has delivered some real meat, and for this price it can't be beat. Great tone, surprisingly versatile and musical.

This amp is good!