PFC. Jessica Lynch

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Dude, Apr 4, 2003.

1. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
  2. Prime Mover

Prime Mover

Feb 16, 2003
    TN, USA
    Thats great! I will also put in my comments. And they say women don't belong on the front lines!!!!!!

3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Good that they got her back!!
  4. lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    If you can find a ANY military source for information about her "heroics," I would like to see it. Everything I have seen is based on a Washington Post report, citing an "unnamed US official," which the Pentagon refused to confirm. The CENTCOM briefing I saw focused only on the rescue. To my knowledge, the Pentagon has never officially commented on her actions at the time of her capture.

Apparently we should all read the Washington Post, since that's where the rest of you get your "facts." :)
  5. lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    PP5: "Her brother, Greg Lynch, said military officials told the family his sister had 'multiple wounds' and that both her legs had been broken as a result of gunshots. Military officials said she was in stable condition."

Not finding the statement about her ACTIONS at the time of her capture, only a second-hand account of what was probably a genuine misunderstanding about the nature of her injuries, passed to her family by someone who no doubt meant well. Not exactly a campaign of disinformation.

CNN's latest: "Col. David Rubenstein, a spokesman for Landstuhl Regional Medical Center, told reporters Friday, 'While the mechanism of injury is still unclear at this point, the most recent evaluations by our staff do not suggest that any of her wounds were caused by either gunshots or stabbing injuries.'"

Okay, THIS is an official statement. If the docs aren't even sure what happened yet, clearly there was confusion about her injuries prior to her examination. Just because people are confused doesn't mean they're lying.

With that in mind, I will generously cut you guys some slack, and assume you were just confused, and not passing along unresearched baloney just to make a buck. ;) In the spirit of "fair and balanced reporting" ;) I should point out that I couldn't find anything in the CNN archives referencing the bogus WP report, probably because - surprise - it was unsubstantiated bullcrap (I'm surprised they didn't have her cutting out her attackers' livers and eating them). That's why, as your sig sez, no one watches FOX at work. :)

Look. You won't find one official comment about the circumstances surrounding her capture. You know why? Because no one knows what the hell happened yet. There is ONE eyewitness available, and she's not exactly in any condition to make a definitive report. No one is handing out any medals without corroboration.

This may be your first war, Dave. But it ain't ours. :)
  6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    From what I've gathered from the news in Germany, her injuries were not gun wounds.
  7. This isn't my first war. It's not even my first war with Iraq. Been here since 1989, pal.
    I agree that no one knows what the hell is going on over there, embedded reporters notwithstanding. Yesterday, for example, we had an ABC News reporter saying the Baghdad airport was taken without a fight, while a Reuters correspondent reported a huge firefight with hundreds of Iraqi casualties.
    I think in the case of Pfc. Lynch, someone from the military told someone that she had been shot and stabbed. The information had to come from somewhere. It's probably a case of someone in the field taking a good story and trying to make it better.
  8. what case would that be. that she survived something that no one should ever have to go through. regardless of whether she was shot or not shot, stabbed or not stabbed, she survived something horrid and will be with her for life. as far as the reports, there is so much confusion. there will be confusion until she is able to tell the whole story herself. regardless her wounds are horrid.

and why is everyone fighting over this now. :(
  9. pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    Divergent, but interesting: my next door neighbor and primary alcohol abuse enabler some years ago was in the marine corps. he told me that it (women as combatants) had been tried a hundred times, but inevitably the problem wasn't with aggressiveness, as some have argued, or with competency, durability, strength or stamina.

the problem was w/ hygiene: inevitably those long periods of sustained activity with no bathing and poor personal hygiene resulted in something like 5 out of 10 of the ladies coming down with painful yeast infections.

for the record though, i'm all for chicks kicking ass.

and PFC Lynch should only receive the congressional medal of honor if she displayed incredible bravery; not to besmirch the young lady's name, but for all we know she could have cowered in her truck or something. to give out the medal for anything other than great acts of courage cheapens it.
  10. The only thing I meant by that comment was that part of what made her story so fantastic -- more compelling, perhaps, than the stories of other POWs -- was that she supposedly went down shooting after she had been shot several times and stabbed. Now, it turns out the being shot and stabbed part wasn't true. Like I said originally, she's braver than I'll ever be. Whether or not she gets a medal is up to someone else.
  11. odie

odie Supporting Member

OK no more debate, no more ill willed comments.

If it aint positive dont post it. The fact hat there is argueing over this stuff really dissappoints me.

:mad: :( :bawl:
  12. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

The most recent news on PFC Lynch is that when her convoy was ambushed she kept on shooting until she ran out of ammo. I suppose shortly thereafter she was taken prisoner probably by Iraqis who were none too pleased and beat her up pretty badly, given the number of broken bones she suffered including a fracture of her lumbar spine.

Another person should be mentioned here...the Iraqi who saved her life. He was visiting his wife in that hospital and heard Lynch being beaten. He walked six miles through the desert to alert marines or army (I'm not sure which) about a female prisoner being beaten. The troops asked him to walk back and find out more...what room, what floor, and other details. Incredibly,he did, then returned with the info, having walked 18 miles in the war-torn country, risking his own life. It was thanks to his efforts that a rescue was able to be made. The soldiers also rescued this Iraqi's wife and child.

I don't know about medals being passed out or who deserves what, but I do feel that the compassion this man showed for a stranger, especially a stranger of an invading army was above and beyond what most of us will ever be called upon to do. And he did it in a country that would have treated him and his family horribly if they had known what he was attempting.

I am certain that nineteen year old PFC Lynch had a terrifying several days in captivity. She was astoundingly lucky. Don't forget there are many more POWs in Iraq, including many hundreds of Kuwaiti POWs taken to Iraq who have never been found since the first Gulf War.
  14. pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    While what happened to PFC Lynch is an outstanding example of conduct for servicemen and women, it would hardly qualify for the CMH. Most assuredly a Purple Heart for wounds in action, and maybe something along the line of a Bronze Star or Silver Star for gallantry in action. But the CMH is far beyond the scope of what happened here, atleast with the information we have right now. Here is the link for the CMH Society, which lists the citations for CMH award winners...

you can see how the CMH awards go above and beyond what happened to the PFC.

Here is another link that shows awards (by the ribbons that you recieve, not the actual medals) and they are shown by precedence, from upper left to lower right...

Just some info for you all to look at. I am not saying that PFC Lynch isn't brave, or wasn't gallant, or anything like that. But please read some of the actions that happened for the award of the CMH, and I think you will understand how her actions do not qualify...
  15. i very much agree with boplicity. remember those not found. and remember the man who risked his family and life to save lynch. thank god for this man. he could have walked away like many others would have or have done out of fear. he has a good heart. and yes, keep all the pows in your thoughts, regardless of race or creed.
  16. I heard that women are better shots and much more willing to kill! I can believe that too, based on the girls I know! :eek:
  17. I think the argument about women soldiers is that men are much more likely to be overprotective, and dont' react well to women in pain. It's not the women; it's the co-edness.
  18. While she DEFINETELY deserves some sort of recognition, I don't belive that she deserves the CMH. In the past, the CMH has gone to individuals who have done something heroic to help save lives or complete a mission. This is something they VOLUNTEERED to do, like running into a firefight blazing away, or staying by an injured soldier keeping him safe until help arrived. What happened to her was not voluntary. She was ambushed, and fought back. She didn't go attack them, she didn't vailiantly launch a counter-assault, all she did was empty her mags.

That being said, what she did is in no way an easy thing to do. It takes concentration, fortitude, and an ability to control the gag reflex. And while she has gone through at least 4 circles of hell, and is in desperate need of a vacation, I don't think she quite qualifies for the CMH. Broze Star, Medal of Valor, maybe. But the highest award in the USA for being captured? Sorry, but no.

Rock on