1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pfft - Pop! Mesa Prodigy blown. :(

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tekhedd, Sep 28, 2017.

1. tekhedd

tekhedd Tone chaser Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2009
    Colorado, USA
    Owner/operator of BYTE HEAVEN
    Somehow, the speaker end of the cord got partly pulled out (those two-way speakon combos don't have a very strong spring), and now I have a dead Prodigy. Oh crap! I've been playing solid state with built in protection for so long, I forgot that this can happen.

I'm very careful when plugging in the speakers, even to the point of always plugging the amp side last so no amount of interruption can result in a dangling cable. I guess it just goes to show, no matter how careful you are, Murphy will getcha.

I'm kinda surprised, the output was at like 3, but hey it's voltage not current, so it can blow instantly...and sure enough, it did. That smell is NOT good. Hoping like crazy I didn't lose the output transformer! Or, maybe it was shorted instead of open, in which case maybe totally different failure. No matter what happened, it's sad.

I've never blown a tube amp before today, well except for that time some rando spilled a beer into my Bassman and cracked the tubes. Hooray for new experiences, I guess? :I

2. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Give customer service a call on Monday (we're closed Fridays) and we will help you get this sorted out.

3. My 1st amp. ..an Australian made 120w tube amp that Dad bought me when I was 12, blew. ..as you described - a 'numpty' spilled a beer into it. Nice light show for about 5 seconds.
    Great that Agedhorse replied here. ..good luck with it.

Although I've been using tube amps since I was 12, & have a couple of times, had the speaker lead come out - briefly - apart from the beer episode - I've never blown one either.

4. Sad, however Mesa really does take care of their customers so you should be in good hands.

Al Kraft likes this.
  5. tekhedd

Feb 9, 2009
    Colorado, USA
    oh I never doubted this for a second! :) Mesa support is the real deal. Or legit. or second to none. Pick your cliche. I'm just sad.

It's like when people turn their car's back window into a moving memorial[*] "In Loving Memory Of!" Except I'm scribbling my grief all over the Talkbass forums apparently.

* - Why would you want to be reminded of your grief every time you look out the rearview? Is this a therapy thing?

monsterthompson likes this.
  6. rmayer

rmayer Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Boynton Beach, FL
    I have a Prodigy. I thought with no speaker connected, the amp should go into a "protection" mode. Is is because the plug was partially connected, or it was still connected at the amp?

7. Were you using a phone plug cable or a SpeakOn?

8. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    If the speaker plug was part way out, it's possible for the protection not to work... there's about 50 thousandths of an inch where this might happen.

Since the amp has a 5 year warranty, following the manufacturer's recommendation about how to get this resolved is going to be the best course of action.

Bill Whitehurst and kpc like this.
  9. tekhedd

Feb 9, 2009
    Colorado, USA
    Good-ish news! I just lost the output tubes. And some components. And the driver tube. $492 and two trips to the Big City(TM), and I'm back in business!

The things we do for tone.

BadExample and agedhorse like this.
  10. Not that much different from the things we do for love! :D

BadExample likes this.
  11. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    tekhedd likes this.
  12. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    To my family I've clearly expressed my desire to not be remembered on the dirty back window of a car. An unmarked grave will be fine.

13. FreightTrain

FreightTrain

Oct 28, 2017
    I'm so sorry to hear about your amp! Thankfully it could be fixed! The prodigy is my dream amp!

BadExample likes this.
  15. Gotta love these Prodigy’s. I love mine. Currently running it thru a Subway 15” and a Subway 212 on the top. Amazing setup. Thinking of getting a Stategy for a little more headroom in large venues.gotta love Mesa.

16. 2BF2E1DE-291C-49C2-A131-DC265FDE5EE2.jpeg 2BF2E1DE-291C-49C2-A131-DC265FDE5EE2.jpeg Light and powerful.

LeftyD likes this.
  17. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Probably only need more speaker(s).

I have a Strategy and have never had it up past 9:30 on both the master and gain, and outdoors its loud, let alone indoors. But in 'large venue' that is ontop of 4x12's.

Red Planet likes this.
  18. Billy Dutton

Billy Dutton

Jul 19, 2015