Pfunk concert review

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jondog, Mar 18, 2003.

1. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I went to see George Clinton and Parliament/Funkadelic this past Sunday. I give the experience 3.5 out of 5 stars. It was at the RexPlex in Elizabeth NJ, which is not a good venue to see a concert in. It's a *huge* indoor sports complex, and they set up concerts in a hockey rink and put up curtains so you can't see the soccer game going on right next to you. Mixing sound in a room that size has got to be a nightmare. The drums sounded perfect, and the drumming was great. The guitars sounded ok, and the vocals and keys were pretty good. The bassist (I don't know his name) did not play nearly as large of a role as I was expecting. You could hear him alright, and it's not like he was playing wrong notes or anything, it was all just very reserved. He played with his back to the audience facing the drummer about 50% of the time. This is sort of ok for pfunk because there are so many other people on stage that one with his back turned doesn't seem unusual, but to the bassists in the audience it's disappointing. He had a 6 string, but I swear he only used the lower 3 strings. He did get a bit more animated when he turned around and sang some backups. The best thing about the overall performance was their dynamic control. They definitely were able to create intensity through varying quiet and loud parts, which is *very* important when all of your songs are 20 minutes long. For the last song, the bassist went away and one of the singers played a Fender Jazz. His Ampegs weren't working so he had to plug into the regular bassists rig (might've been 2 MoBasses? I dunno, they were silver). The tone he ended up w/ was very very boomy. They started late, and the venue wanted them to stop on time, so the RexPlex guy was standing on the side of the stage giving George mean looks for the last 15 minutes, and they turned the halogen sports lights on while they were still playing! Talk about killing any mood they were able to create in that horrible room! I swear the venue guy pulled the plug the second they were done. It sounded to me like the final snare hit didn't come through the PA. I was able to score free tickets, but if I had paid $30 like most of the people ($36.50 if you used ticketmaster) I would've been pissed.
  2. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    A couple of years ago on the mothership resurection tour they played harbourlights here in Boston.

11 oclock hit and they pulled the plug!

About One minute into Red hot Momma!

I couldnt believe it!

3. That happened last time I saw P-Funk as well, at the San Diego Street Scene. They must just ignore all "this is your last song" warnings.
  4. Saw 'em last year...freakin' great concert. It was funny...half the guys on stage were playing, half were smoking weed.
  5. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I saw 'em in '78. Whoo weee!
  6. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I saw them a few years ago and there must have been 25 musicians on stage. At least some of them were musicians....

The bass player was really boring when I saw them, too, which surprised me. He played OK, but kind of uninspired. It was a fun concert, though. The Violent Femmes warmed up, and a lot of young folks around us just came for them, and stood silently staring at P-Funk like they didn't know what was going on. But soon, their butts started moving!