Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Phantom Basses?!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dorknamedsami, Jan 5, 2003.

1. dorknamedsami

dorknamedsami

Jan 5, 2003
    Florida
    I have a 4 stringed fretted pearl white phantom bass... I have never heard of this kind of bass. Everytime I do a search on "phantom basses" I get a 5 sided bass come up. I have never seen my bass on-line. Is that a bad thing? If anyone out there knows anything about Phantom basses please key me in because I want to know if it is a "good" kind of bass. To me, it plays good, but I'm pretty much a newbie, so what could sound good to me, might sound like crap to you...:confused:

2. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    Germany
  3. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
  4. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    If your bass has P-bass pickups and a pointed "kramer" style headstock,and on the headstock it has a drawing of some kind of "phantom", It sounds like you have one exactly like my first bass. I bought it at a small music store in Arlington Texas in the late 80's. It had a nice p-bass sound, but the tone knob did next to nothing so I was stuck with a very bland, dull sound. The neck bowed pretty bad and I didn't even know enough bac then to check the truss rod, so I sold it and the Gorilla amp I bought with it for $100.
    If you have a picture, could you post it or send it to me? I would love to see one again.

Mark

5. dorknamedsami

dorknamedsami

Jan 5, 2003
    Florida
    here is one pic

6. dorknamedsami

dorknamedsami

Jan 5, 2003
    Florida
    here is another pic... me and my little sister share a room (that's whose doll it is in the corner of the picture...)

7. dorknamedsami

dorknamedsami

Jan 5, 2003
    Florida
    Does the bass really suck though? I mean, it is my first bass too and I am not that great at it yet... Can you tell me what the pluses and negatives there are to the bass, but in easier terms for me to understand. I basically self taught myself with a little help over the summer, so I don't really know the names of all the parts or how to change strings. Oh, speaking of strings, do I need to change them, because even if I am holding the string down flat on the fret it buzzes? What does that mean? Grr... I added your (tuBass) AIM to my buddy list... So if I see you on, then I will talk to you about it, if you don't want to post... Thanks

8. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    WOW! that's it! It's nice to see my first bass again. Thanks for posting it!

9. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    Well, I thought mine kind of sucked, but I was told later it had a electronics problem that suppressed all of the treble out of the tone. Yours may be different. he question is, what do you think, and are you in a postion to do anthing about it? I will tell you it's not worth doing any major upgrades on, so just enjoy you have a real bass and not a guitar with two string removed like some people started on. :eek:

If you practice and get good, treat yourself to a nice bass somewhere down the line. THere is nothing wrong with your bass unless you paid over $200 for it, then you got taken. I have a feeling you didn't though, and you should enjoy it as a learning tool. DId you get it as a christmas present? what do thing about it so far?
    From my expereince with my old bass, you probably need to hav the bass checked for a setup. the buzzing you describe sounds like a setup problem. THe neck needs to be adjusted or the bridge, or both. IF you just bought the bass, and then find out you it needs major work, then you may want to have a talk with the person you bought it from. If it is a music store, they could do a setup for you.
    If you feel you paid too much and can get a refund, then there afre some very nice basses (essex) that can be had for less than $150 and are quite a bargain.
    Keep us posted, and I'll help anyway I can.

10. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
  11. dorknamedsami

dorknamedsami

Jan 5, 2003
    Florida
    I got the bass as a gift around my birthday (9/20) from my uncle. He has a lot of basses and he thought it would be nice to give it to me. It is a pretty nice bass though. I think it is beautimous (my own word...) This was the only problem I have had with the bass. I mean, other than the buzzing I think that it works fine and has a good sound to it. What does a p-bass sound mean? Is it good if you are learning ska on it? How much does it cost to get someone to fix the buzzing? One of my cousins play guitar, do you think he could fix it? I don't know... add me to you buddy list please... maybe it would be easier if we talked one-on-one instead of posting like this... thanks again!!:cool:

12. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I don't use aim to much, but for setup questions there are some great "do it yourself" pages you can find in the setup forum. If your uncle plays bass, I bet he could help you. Te guitar player might know how to do it, but your uncle is a better bet.
    I agree about it looking nice. I always did like that part of it. A p-bass pickup id the desciption of the two, short pickups placed at a diagonal to each other.