1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Phantom gas pains...urgh!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, Oct 21, 2013.

1. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    This is my bass:

100_2826_zps9ec70c84.

Not everybody's cup o'tea, but it's pretty much perfect for me. The neck is narrow and slim without being too narrow and slim. It weighs in at just over 8 lbs and balances just right. The hardware and electronics are great and I get very usable tones.

And yet, I have gas. Phantom gas pains.

I don't know what I would want, though! I've had and sold a bunch of G&L L2000 Tributes 'cause I can't get along with the neck profile - maybe a USA L2000 with the Jazz width neck is what I'm after.

2. Bert Slide

Bert Slide

May 16, 2012
    Louisville KY
    Just stick a couple more pickups on that one. ;)

3. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I could put another right up against the neck, huh?

:eek:

4. kcole4001

kcole4001

Oct 7, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    Maybe on the back! :smug:

Seriously, nice bass.
    A Carvin I assume?

I have more gear (some of it quite nice, too ;)) than I'd have imagined when I was younger, but there is still some stuff I'd really like to have.
    GAS is normal, just don't feel that you need to pay attention to it all the time.
    I only buy what I know I'll use, and I don't sell/trade off my stuff, so I never have to repurchase it when I realize it was a mistake to get rid of it.

If you already have your 'perfect bass', enjoy and don't buy into the endless search others go through while looking for that one bass.
    Some of us do actually find the right one.

5. Garyth

Garyth Now What ..?

Sep 9, 2013
    Punta Gorda Florida
    zN4sLTg.

6. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Now it's a Boosty Bass! All the knobs go to 11.

7. kcole4001

kcole4001

Oct 7, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    The rule is 'you're not allowed to have more pickups than strings'.
    :)

8. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    You're right about all of it (almost). The bass is a Peavey Millennium USA model and there was something wrong with the pickups. They were on the muddy side and using the preamp to add clarity only added hiss.

9. kcole4001

kcole4001

Oct 7, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    I thought Peavey at first, but didn't recognize the pups.

I assume you have already sorted out the preamp issue.
    Great basses for the money, outstanding value.

10. Garyth

Garyth Now What ..?

Sep 9, 2013
    Punta Gorda Florida
    I new and inexperienced, I haven't read the rule book. And since I am also a guy it is likely I threw them away with the welcome kit box.

11. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    The pickups are from SGD Lutherie - great pups. I originally thought to go with an Audere preamp but that was hissy on this bass so I've gone passive. Controls are V/B/T with a varitone, and pickup pair selector switch. The little toggle switch is series/single/parallel for the rear pups.