Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Phantom of the Opera piano sheet music needed

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by hateater, Nov 4, 2004.

1. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    read title fellas

2. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    This is a bit off topic and doesn't help in your search -
    but you do know that dear Mr. Webber ripped the "Overture" from Roger Waters right?

3. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Just...say...NO.

I'll see if I can find a copy of Harold Danko's contract rider, it's pretty funny vis a vis Andrew Lloyd Weber..

4. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    what song did he rip it off from?

5. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Echoes. Here's a long explanation I found. I've read other things where Webber admits to listening to some "popular records of the time" to get ideas for the Phantom.

Apparently, Roger suspected Lloyd-Webber of stealing some of "Echoes" in the writing of "Phantom Of The Opera". Here is a more detailed explanation:

"What's the deal with Andrew Lloyd Webber?"

In general, (Roger) just doesn't like ALW's music, and doesn't mind saying so. But specifically, there's a section of Webber's _Phantom of the Opera_ that bears a marked similarity to a part of ``Echoes.'' The opening notes to the ``Overture'' of _Phantom_ (Track 2, Disc 1) are C# C B Bb A C#. This matches rather closely a section of ``Echoes,'' approximately 6:06 to 6:16. While Waters was less than pleased with this similarity, Echoesians have pointed out that such a chromatic pattern is fairly common; by no means a Floyd invention. However, the relevant dates make the charge of plagiarism at least possible, if not really likely -- Webber first used the riff in question on the film ``Gumshoe,'' released in December 1971. _Meddle_ was released on 11 November, 1971, with the live debut of ``Echoes'' having occurred on April 22.

In an interview about ATD, waters said the following:

"Andrew Lloyd Webber sickens me. He's in your face all the time and what he does is nonsense. It has no value. It is shallow, derivative rubbish, all of it, and it makes me very gloomy. Actually, I've never been to one of his shows but having put that slightly savage joke on the record,(There's a lyric on Amused To Death which runs: "Lloyd Webber's awful stuff/Runs for years and years/An earthquake hits the theatre/But the operetta lingers/Then the piano lid comes down/And breaks his f***ing fingers.") I thought I'd better listen to some Andrew Lloyd Webber and I was staying in a rented house in America this summer and the people who owned the house had a whole bunch of his rubbish so I thought I'd listen to Phantom Of The Opera and I put the record on and I was slightly apprehensive. I thought, Christ, I hope this isn't good - or even mediocre. I was not disappointed. Phantom Of The Opera is absolutely f***ing horrible from start to finish."

6. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    I hate to double-post, but I missed the end and it's classic Waters.

"Yes, Echoes"! he booms. (Echoes was an LP-side-long, and rather-good-actually, track on Pink Floyd's Meddle.) "Echoes. Yeah the beginning of that bloody Phantom song is from Echoes. (_He sings_) DAAAA-da-da-da-da-da. I couldn't believe it when I heard it. It's the same time signature - it's 12/8 - and it's the same structure and it's the same notes and it's the same everything. Bastard. It probably is actionable. It really is! But I think that life's too long to bother with suing Andrew f***ing Lloyd Webber. I think that
    might make me really gloomy."

7. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    ha! thanks for that...