Phantom Power Puzzle

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by TrevorOfDoom, Oct 11, 2016.

Tags:
  1. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    I use a Rupert Neve DI at church and I love it! I'd love to get my own, but it's phantom powered and I don't always play in great places with great boards that have phantom power.
    As such, does anyone know a way to externally power a DI that requires phantom?

Also, is this the right forum for this thread? If not, please move it to a more appropriate forums. Thanks!

2. I have the Neve too and like it a lot. Use it mostly at home and power it through a mic-preamp. I don't know any mixing desk, even the cheapest smallest Behringer ones, that don't have phantom power. Did you ever get in a situation where the mixing desk had no phantom power?

If you want to be shure get something like this:
    ART Phantom I

You connect the XLR-out of the Neve to the mic-input of the Art Phantom 1 and the XLR out of the Art to the mixing desk. The Art is ac powered, there are similar devices using batteries.

testing1two likes this.
  3. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Studio mixing desks are usually good, but it's the (not so) occasional live board that I'm more concerned with.

I'll look into the contraption you posted.

4. testing1two

testing1two Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    Yep, an external phantom power supply is what you need...and a short mic cable.

5. Ulf_Hansson

Ulf_Hansson

Apr 15, 2014
    I don't see what kind of live board you'd run into that doesn't provide phantom power? Anything from the last 25 years should. I mean, how would they mic drums (most overheads and a lot of tom mics are condensers), pianos and brass without?

DirkP likes this.
  6. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    I played on a little 12 channel tonight that didn't have phantom.
    I'll post a pic tomorrow to prove it.

Here's the deal: yes, almost all boards have phantom these days. Great.
    However, there still exist boards without it (or soundmen who have no idea how to use it). As such, i'd like to covered in all cases.

7. Ulf_Hansson

Ulf_Hansson

Apr 15, 2014
    With such a board (or such a FoH engineer) do you think anyone will be able to hear the difference between a Neve DI and the cheapest passive box you can find? I mean, Behringer/Alto/whatever doesn't sound that bad, and will cost less than a separate phantom power adapter. Just sayin'.

8. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    In general I agree, and most show with such poor PA i don't need to go direct.
    However, as an example, there's a venue I play that's a bass suck. My big rig is overkill and doesn't get anywhere. The PA does have a sub, so I try and let it do the heavy lifting. The board that gets used doesn't have phantom, and i don't like the way that my Radial JDI plays with that room.
    My hope is that a nicer DI would at least instill some confidence in me that something decent is hitting the audience.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021