Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Phantom Power?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ikickuintheballs, Apr 19, 2001.

1. What is this? I see it with certain things like DI's.

2. Phantom power supplies power to things that need to be powered, mainly it's for condenser microphones. C mics need a power source to work so most good mixing boards and some other devices supply a power supply through one of the pins in a 3-pin connector. Some condensers have the ability to use a battery in case you don't have a phantom power supply on tap. Also other devices that need power and connect to mixing boards with a 3-pin connector benefit from phantom power.

3. Phantom power: you get that when your amp's haunted. :eek:

actually it's exactly what Flea Claydirnt (gee I wonder who his favorite bassits are) said. Active DIs need it to power their preamps, condensors need it to charge up the capacitor plates so that they'll function. most consoles send +48 VDC. Don't unplug something with phantom on it while the channel is open.....BOOM. It makes a really loud noise. Especially through an arena rig... not that I've ever done that....:D hehe