Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Phantom Power

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Petary791, Sep 5, 2005.

1. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Could somebody explain to me what Phantom Power means? My Punch Factory has it, but I have no idea what it means. Thanks. :cool:

2. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    From what I understand about it, you can power your pedal via the mixer's audio cable. IF the mixer supports PP.

3. Phantom power is usually available from mixing desk microphone inputs. So, it's usually present on DI boxes, which the Punch Factory apparently has incorporated.

It is connected via the balanced output (XLR), and provided you don't lift the ground (with the ground lift switch) it will take over the job of powering the device - as long as the phantom power is being supplied from the mixing desk.

It's called Phantom power because it seemingly comes from "nowhere". But in fact it takes advantage of the common mode rejection feature of balanced microphone input stages. Suffice to say, without going into detail, it just works.

Some high end gear has a slightly different form of phantom power. The EBS Black Label gear can be phantom powered via the output jack socket... but I can't say I've ever seen compatible bass amps other than there own.