Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

phantom sheet music?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by hateater, Nov 1, 2005.

1. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    can anyone send me the phantom of the opera main theme sheet music for piano? I know someone out there has it....

2. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    See if you can find some charts for Echoes by Pink Floyd - same damn theme - Lloyd Webber ripped it from Roger Waters...

3. ladros2

ladros2

Jun 2, 2005
    Ireland
    you sure?

4. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Yes. Waters is not a big fan of the guy...

He's crackers! But not that crackers because he doesn't much care for Andrew Lloyd Webber! (There's a lyric on Amused To Death which runs thus: "Lloyd Webber's awful stuff/Runs for years and years/An earthquake hits the theatre/But the operetta lingers/Then the piano lid comes down/And breaks his ****ing fingers.")

"Andrew Lloyd Webber sickens me. He's in your face all the time and what he does is nonsense. It has no value. It is shallow, derivative rubbish, all of it, and it makes me very gloomy. Actually, I've never been to one of his shows but having put that slightly savage joke on the record, I thought I'd better listen to some Andrew Lloyd Webber and I was staying in a rented house in America this summer and the people who owned the house had a whole bunch of his rubbish so I thought I'd listen to Phantom Of The Opera and I put the record on and I was slightly apprehensive. I thought, Christ, I hope this isn't good - or even mediocre. I was not disappointed. Phantom Of The Opera is absolutely ****ing horrible from start to finish."

Yes, the music of "Sir" Andrew Lloyd Webber is rather horrible - but has not Waters, in condemning Phantom Of The Opera as "****ing fifteenth rate from beginning to end", as he does, missed something? Has he not noticed something uncanny about Phantom Of The Opera, the title song, something about the opening notes that go "DAAAA-da-da-da-da-da"?

"Yes, Echoes"! he booms. (Echoes was an LP-side- long, and rather-good- actually, track on Pink Floyd's Meddle.) "Echoes. Yeah the beginning of that bloody Phantom song is from Echoes. (_He sings_) DAAAA-da-da-da-da-da. I couldn't believe it when I heard it. It's the same time signature - it's 12/8 - and it's the same structure and it's the same notes and it's the same everything.

Bastard. It probably is actionable. It really is! But I think that life's too long to bother with suing Andrew ****ing Lloyd Webber. I think that might make me really gloomy."

5. ladros2

ladros2

Jun 2, 2005
    Ireland
    Um, Phantom of the opera main theme is 4/4.

6. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    I am a huge Floyd fan, and I dunno... There are 7 notes or so in a row that share a similar chromatic pattern- how can Roger say that they own a chromatic decending scale?!? That song has only one damn similarity with phantom of the opera.

7. ladros2

ladros2

Jun 2, 2005
    Ireland
    And really, sueing over it??? What???