Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Phantom supply for active basses.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Rockin John, Aug 29, 2001.

1. I wondered whether anyone has heard of this concept, or tried it, or whether it's commercially available.

Some years ago I messed around with onboard actives but fed the power into the bass from a special module (I designed and built) that sat atop the head, rather than having onboard batteries. As I remember, I ran 32 volts as +- 16 Volts along separate cores of the signal cable. Just wondered whether this idea's new or old.

John

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    It's quite old and dates back to the times when there weren't any suitable batteries for onboard electronics.
    I know for sure that Alembic used this concept since the early 70s, but it may be even older.

EBS offers preamps that have a power supply.
    German manufacturer Basstech offers/ed a standalone power supply.
    There must be more, maybe I can remember some later...

ok, one more:

German bass company Marleaux offers a power supply:

Marleaux PCC-25

[​IMG]

www.marleaux-bass.de

3. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire, but not an "endorsing artist".* (see sig)
  4. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire, but not an "endorsing artist".* (see sig)
    Gee, now that I re-read the original post, I see you more than likely already know all of that, having done it yourself already! Still, not a new idea, but a good one, no worries about batteries dying in the middle of a gig...

5. Yeh. Thanks.

It was just that I wondered whether it'd been done before, rather than wanting one.

I messed around with designing onboard-bass actives in the mid 80s and came up with a system as outlined on my original post.

One or two guys on here have posted about running 27 to 36 Volt systems using batteries. I thought phantom supplying would be a good idea. But, naturally, as with most of my good ideas, someone else has done it first! ;) !

John