1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Phase cancelation with new wiring harness

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ThePoloHobo, Jul 9, 2014.

1. ThePoloHobo

ThePoloHobo

Aug 18, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    OK, so I recently bought a wiring harness for my jazz that allows for series/parallel and adjustable tone knob capacitance. The problem is, when I have both pickups at the same volume or its in series mode, (they're single coils) there's quite a bit of phase cancelation going on and it sounds very thin.. The white lead is the 'hot' wire, right?? Any thoughts?

2. ThePoloHobo

ThePoloHobo

Aug 18, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Never mind, I'm an idiot. Wired the bridge pickup backwards :p

LoveThatBass likes this.
  3. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass

Jun 28, 2004
    Hey, you may have just helped others who run into this. I had a J pickup once that exibited this problem so I swapped the black and white wires on the pot. Appears they wired the pickup backward at the factory. Have a guy wire an electrolytic capacitor in a circuit and it blew up upon powering up. Turns out the cap maker had it miss labeled and so it was actually installed backward.