1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Phase Cancellation - Adding J to a P Am Standard 08...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Piedro, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Piedro

Piedro

Jan 23, 2001
    Montréal, Qc, Canada
    Endorsing Aguilar Amp product.
    hey guys, i have an P Am Std 08, (5 strings btw...) well, i had a BassLine J pick-up (for the neck - from a replacement for Lakland 55-94) that i placed in the Bridge position, ( yeah... i took a chance) and i got Phase Cancellation when the 2 pickups a open full volume together, (i've wired it Vol, Vol Tone...)

is it because it's a Bridge pick-up that i got phase cancellation or it's because it's because the Bassline is not "voiced" to got with the Fender P-bass pickup...

thanks guys!
    PO

2. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Assuming polarity of pickups is wired correctly and avoiding any passive loading interaction, still any two pickups will have phase cancellations at various frequencies, dependent on pickup response curves and more importantly, placement - ie where each pickup senses the string. Those relationships are what define any blended dual-pickup sounds.

3. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    Swap the leads on one pickup and it'll be ok. If your P pickup uses the same wire as baseplate ground and pickup ground swap the leads on the J.

4. Piedro

Piedro

Jan 23, 2001
    Montréal, Qc, Canada
    Endorsing Aguilar Amp product.
    ok.. if i got that correctly, the ground (with the screw in the bass, under the P-pups) is soldered over the P-bass Pot Volume, the ground of the P-Pups too... and the ground of the J-Pups is soldered on his Volume-Pot...

i think this is how it's wired right now... i'll try a few things in the next hour i'll be back after that! thanks guys

PO