1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Phase cancellation?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bigblondeafro87, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Hey all,

I recently installed a set of Seymour Duncan SSBs into my 5 string Schecter in place of the old EMG HZs and have run into a problem. When running each pickup individually they sound nice and beefy, but if if I turn the volume on for both pickups, it sound like I'm running my bass through a high pass filter. Cool effect for harmonics, but not at all what I want. I've read on these forums something about 'phase cancellation' but after a couple searches, I couldn't find anything helpful. Can someone help me out?

Thanks!

2. 3506string

3506string

Nov 18, 2004
    Lawton, OK
    Sounds like phase cancellation. Here's the wiring diagram.

3. Yes, that is how I have it wired that diagram came with the pickups. I tired adjusting pickup height and it didn't fix anything. Does anyone know how to fix this?

4. clear pic of the wiring could help.

5. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Swap the black and white wires on one of the pickups. Keep the bare wire on ground. That should fix it. It's possible that they accidentally installed a magnet the wrong way in one of the pickups.