1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Phase issues with an Ampeg 810 cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by function, Apr 12, 2006.

1. function

function

Sep 7, 2005
    So I bought two 10" speakers from SLM to replace a couple of older ones in an Ampeg 810. I installed both with a close eye on the wiring configuration to match the previous other two. After I put them both in, one of the new speakers proved to be out of phase with the rest of the other 7 - but I popped the old one back in to double check, and it was fine. Is it possible to have gotten a speaker that was manufactured with reverse phase? Does this matter for a cabinet that isn't ported? If I switch the wiring on this one speaker, it switches the phase for the rest of the series (half of the cabinet), so would the best option be to place this particular speaker at the end of the series?

2. Anything is possible.

What is a lot more practical, reverse the wiring on the offending driver. Then use a battery to verify all cones move the same direction when the battery is applied.

The 'standard' direction is +Red Forward. This means when you make the red line to the + side of the battery, all cones move away from their magnets.

On a 1/4" plug, the 'Red' line is the Tip and the shield is Black.
    On a Speakon, Red is the + connector.

3. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    It's likely that all the other speakers are out of phase, relative to the standard.

4. function

function

Sep 7, 2005
    I initially had done the battery test - where I found that the one driver was not configured the same. If I switch the wiring on it, it switches the phase on half of the rest of the cabinet (4 speakers). It is the exact same speaker model/type as the old one (and all the rest as well), yet pushes in when all of the others push out, yet if I put another speaker in the offending speakers place, it pushes out like it should. Weird situation.

5. Have you checked the offending speaker for proper ohms? Does it respond properly to the battery test on its own?

6. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    you bought the speakers from SLM? why dont you just ask them about it? if the speaker is not right, surely they'd just swap it out.

7. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Full disclosure, I'm a certified Fender technician working in a music store that carries Fender, Yamaha, and Ibanez products among others.
    Switch the offending speaker's wiring, and then switch the wiring back for the rest of the speakers in the series? Or call Ampeg and order another speaker?

8. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    All that matters is that all the drivers respond the same way with a battery test, positive excursion with the + pole of the input jack connected to the + pole of the battery. Wire them as required for them to do so and forget about it.