Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Phase pedal for bass!?!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Guinea Pig, Aug 11, 2005.

1. What is the most responsive phase pedal for bass? If anyone can detect that slight phasing in roger waters bassline in the wall or in his live shows thats sort of what im going for.

2. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    The MXR Phase 90 is inexpensive, simple to use and has a wonderful sound.

3. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I have a Hyper Phase. Versatile. I can get flanger and vibrato like effects out of it as well.

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    The Phase 90 is pretty much the standard Phaser.

5. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Akai Intelliphase has 3 modes, normal, phase more the harder you play, phase less the harder you play.

They can be had very very cheap on ebay.

Hope this helps

6. Many guitar players seem to complain about the reissue Phase 90`s sound. Have any of you done the R27 mod for your Phase 90? Is it necessery for bass frequencies?

7. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    i think that almost any phaser will work fairly well with bass. also, i will second the akai intelliphase suggestion. kinda big, but pretty cool.

8. The R27/R28 mod for the Phase 90 is essentially a switch that allows you to change between the small sweep which was present in the original script logo Phase 90s, to the more dramatic sweep that you get out of the block logo Phase 90s. The current EVH Phase 90 has a switch similar to this to allow you to change between the two modes.

I have had around fourteen or fifteen variations of the Phase 90/Phase 100 and have found the any of the block logo Phase 90's are best for bass. They retain bottom end well and sound great either fingerstyle, pick or plucking chords. My favourites are any of the recent ones that accept the Boss style power adaptors.

9. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    +1 for the current Phase 90. I also like the EH Small Stone.

10. Thanks Brown Shark! I´m about to buy phaser and I can not decide which one of these I should choose: EHX reissue Small Stone, Akai Intelliphase or MXR reissue phase90? Suggestions anybody?

11. They retain bottom end well and sound great either fingerstyle, pick or plucking chords.

Brown shark thats all you had to say to convince me into buying one.

12. JPrisus

JPrisus

Jun 8, 2005
    Maxon PH-350 Rotary Phaser... pricey but worth every penny. Like having the best of MXR 45/90/100s and Smallstone in one box. Actually adds bottom at certain settings!

13. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    +1
    That and the Red Witch are probably the best out there.

14. Red Witch Deluxe Moon Phaser here.

Only one of the six presets drops the bottom end but that is by design.
    Responds very well to a growly Rickenbacker and plays well with a Fulltone Bass Driver in front of it as well.

Again pricey; but well worth it for my bag of tricks.

15. I havent had much experience with the Intelliphase, but I have tried a couple of Small Stone's and found that with the colour switch engaged, they are a more "extreme" phaser than the MXR. The Small Stone added some bottom end when used with an active bass, and has an almost flanger style of phasing to it when pushed. It was very similar to my Boss Bass Flanger, not that classic phaser sound I wanted. When I got my first Phase 90, it was pretty much the phaser sound I wanted all along, so my recommendation would be to go with the Phase 90 reissue (the orange one with the block logo, unless you want a blue LED and Eddie van Halen colours, which is the EVH).

16. Thanks GP! Im sure you wont be disappointed - let us know how you find it!

17. 33degrees

33degrees

Jun 4, 2005
    Spain
    the new Maxon PT9 Pro + looks very nice: http://www.maxon.co.jp/ (its the japanese website , its not out on the UK one yet) there's also a bass sound clip on this page....

18. I tried out the Phase 90 against the EVH Phase 90. If you want the tone - the EVH model has more of it. It was a subtle difference, but I could definately here a difference. I am using the EVH Phaser & aside from those horrible colors.... I love it!

And yes, don't look directly at the blue LED... you will be blinded! Much similar to the effects of a camera flash. It is long-gone on the bright side.

19. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yeah, way back when, when I modified my infamous BLS Big Muff with a blue LED, I used it as a night light when I needed to go to the bathroom. That thing lit up my whole bedroom!

20. Thanks Brown shark!
    I would definitely go with Intelliphase but it`s terribly ugly and big. I tried it and liked it but for aesthetic reasons I`m not so sure about. ;)

MXR reissue could be the one. I have Jazz bass with J-retro electronics and I`m not seeking flanging sound, just lush and intense phaser. What does Small stone`s colour switch exactly do? I`ve heard some complaints that Small stone makes bass sound mushy.