Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Phase shifter on bass?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Mad Subwoofer, Jun 9, 2001.

1. I'm thinking I'd like to buy a phaser pedal and wondered if anybody could suggest a decent one. I'm playing a lot of fat, trippy dub as of late and the effect goes well in combo with my Korg bass synth and Mutron III+. Kicking the effect in judiciously on the occasional tune adds some extra-chewy punch. I am currently renting an MXR phase 90 which I am mostly happy with due to it's fat analog tone; quite good on bass I'd say as it doesn't thin out the bass much. The only hassle is that I can hear the effect even when it is off due to it's lack of true bypass. This is awfully annoying. Other phasers I am considering:

Ibanez PH99 Classic Phaser

Ibanez PH7 Tonelock Phaser

Akai Intelliphase w/ it's touch sensitivity(!)

It is quite possible that the MXR is the best and I should just be happy w/ it. If anybody has experiance with any of these units or has another to suggest, your opinion would be much appreciated. Phaser isn't a common effect for bass it's true, on our fat dub tracks ala` Laswell, Mad proffesor, Dub syndicate, Wimbish and On-u sound it just works so well.
    Thank you!
    Chris P.

2. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

Try out a Line 6 MM4 Modulation Modeler. Not only will you get the phase 90 and Ibanez phaser, but also Mu-TRon Bi-Phase, a whole bunch of cool chorus and flangers, and tremolos, uni-vibe, MXR Vibrato....AND true Bypass. Xpression pedal will allow morphing between sounds (within a given effect, not between effects)...also true stereo processing, and it doesn't thin out the bottom.
    If you are doing a lot of Laswell type dubby stuff, this would be very cool...
    Max

3. JohnP

JohnP

Jun 9, 2001
    Chicago
    Endorsing Artist: Rick Turner Guitars, DTAR, Seymour Duncan,
    chris-
    if you like the mxr, get a tru bypass switch installed, or use a boss line selector. i did this with an old dod fx 25 ev filter.

I do dub and freefunk ina Laswell/Wobble/Gardiner style too..and have tried a bunch of things. Along with using ev filters, octave things (sub generators) and mild distortion devices, I have found that I need the unaffected sound of the bass as well, so unless you split your bass sound (as i am doing- well trying to do, see my inquirys in the amp section) the phase shifter thing weakens the low end in ensemble play..though it's a good effect when you play bass-soloed dub out parts.

I like the Line 6 mm for live, though in a recorded production, i'd rather have the noisy old stuff. trouble is, the vintage efx pimps have put the real tools out of reach of a lot of us..$1000 for a mutron bi-phase..

I have just started using a Line 6 fm .. the synth sounds are great, but the mutron-ish stuff is weak (though i am spoiled) Look into that for the dub.

heard the new Jah Wobble/Evan Parker "Passage to Hades" yet?
    john

4. oooooh...a true bypass switch installed, like in the actual MXR pedal? that would be dandy. How would I go about that? I 'm just using the MXR on occasion for a dramatic effect so splitting my signal isn't really that important for me. If you're into signal spliiting and all you might want to consider my old route of using a DMC Ground control and rack loop switching unit. I had the best of luck with it, fantastic configurations available. All my pedals in the rack, all bypassed when not in use, any combo when I needed it. i just got tired of lugging it all around. Mutron's and Bass synths are more fun on the floor for on-the-fly adjustments IMO.
    The Line 6 MM is great i'm sure but kid of heavy handed...more stuff than I need. Do you really have the FM?? Tell us all about it! Will it replace my Mutron III+ or no? Do the effects sound fuzzy and analog or processed and "detached"? Does it respond well to your dynamics? I read the DM didn't.
    Who is Gardiner? I dig Wobble but haven't heard the new one.
    Which Phase shifter model do you end up choosing on your MM?
    Thanks;
    Chris

5. JohnP

JohnP

Jun 9, 2001
    Chicago
    Endorsing Artist: Rick Turner Guitars, DTAR, Seymour Duncan,
    :oops:ooooh...a true bypass switch installed, like in the actual MXR pedal? that would be dandy. How would I go about that?

I am using a boss line selector ..but I bet a switch could be installed in the MXR.

:Mutron's and Bass synths are more fun on the floor for on-the-fly adjustments IMO.

amen, me brddr

:The Line 6 MM is great i'm sure but kid of heavy handed...more stuff than I need.

I don't use it live anymore for much the same reason.

:Do you really have the FM?? Tell us all about it!

I got it because I have been EV filter insane lately-tried a box full of them--I have only had the fm for 2 weeks now..it's deep. The best thing I like so far are the Mood Sympathizer efx..I a/b/c'd it with the Akai and the EH micro..and this is a lot nicer, mo' user friendly and versatile. Email me for more..

:Will it replace my Mutron III+ or no?

NO! mof, i think the weak point is the mutron-ish stuff. but I am still experimenting. (sound of bass line from "Vote for Miles")

:Do the effects sound fuzzy and analog or processed and "detached"?

analog and buzzy, though not as much as the real stuff- much the same way all their modeling things are. however in a live thang, and for the $$, it's a killa.

:Does it respond well to your dynamics?

ummm yea..maybe... it does..but it's tracking your playing and I don't think god meant for efx to track a pbass with flats, especially on the 5th fret/g string. It tracks my Ren better, but i like the Ren "naked" so much, I can't even turn on an equalizer fer C sake.

:Who is Gardiner?

Boris Gardiner, one of the finest bassists from JA to ever lay down a track at the Black Ark!

:I dig Wobble but haven't heard the new one.

Every bass player should give a listen to this..it's an amazing cd.

dub down!

jp

6. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Why not try a boss super phaser dirk lance of incubus uses that and the MXR 90