Phase shifter on bass?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Mad Subwoofer, Jun 9, 2001.

1. I'm thinking I'd like to buy a phaser pedal and wondered if anybody could suggest a decent one. I'm playing a lot of fat, trippy dub as of late and the effect goes well in combo with my Korg bass synth and Mutron III+. Kicking the effect in judiciously on the occasional tune adds some extra-chewy punch. I am currently renting an MXR phase 90 which I am mostly happy with due to it's fat analog tone; quite good on bass I'd say as it doesn't thin out the bass much. The only hassle is that I can hear the effect even when it is off due to it's lack of true bypass. This is awfully annoying. Other phasers I am considering:

Ibanez PH99 Classic Phaser

Ibanez PH7 Tonelock Phaser

Akai Intelliphase w/ it's touch sensitivity(!)

It is quite possible that the MXR is the best and I should just be happy w/ it. If anybody has experiance with any of these units or has another to suggest, your opinion would be much appreciated. Phaser isn't a common effect for bass it's true, on our fat dub tracks ala` Laswell, Mad proffesor, Dub syndicate, Wimbish and On-u sound it just works so well.
    Thank you!
    Chris P.

2. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

Try out a Line 6 MM4 Modulation Modeler. Not only will you get the phase 90 and Ibanez phaser, but also Mu-TRon Bi-Phase, a whole bunch of cool chorus and flangers, and tremolos, uni-vibe, MXR Vibrato....AND true Bypass. Xpression pedal will allow morphing between sounds (within a given effect, not between effects)...also true stereo processing, and it doesn't thin out the bottom.
    If you are doing a lot of Laswell type dubby stuff, this would be very cool...
    Max

3. JohnP

JohnP

Jun 9, 2001
    Chicago
    Endorsing Artist: Rick Turner Guitars, DTAR, Seymour Duncan,
    chris-
    if you like the mxr, get a tru bypass switch installed, or use a boss line selector. i did this with an old dod fx 25 ev filter.

I do dub and freefunk ina Laswell/Wobble/Gardiner style too..and have tried a bunch of things. Along with using ev filters, octave things (sub generators) and mild distortion devices, I have found that I need the unaffected sound of the bass as well, so unless you split your bass sound (as i am doing- well trying to do, see my inquirys in the amp section) the phase shifter thing weakens the low end in ensemble play..though it's a good effect when you play bass-soloed dub out parts.

I like the Line 6 mm for live, though in a recorded production, i'd rather have the noisy old stuff. trouble is, the vintage efx pimps have put the real tools out of reach of a lot of us..$1000 for a mutron bi-phase..

I have just started using a Line 6 fm .. the synth sounds are great, but the mutron-ish stuff is weak (though i am spoiled) Look into that for the dub.

heard the new Jah Wobble/Evan Parker "Passage to Hades" yet?
    john

4. oooooh...a true bypass switch installed, like in the actual MXR pedal? that would be dandy. How would I go about that? I 'm just using the MXR on occasion for a dramatic effect so splitting my signal isn't really that important for me. If you're into signal spliiting and all you might want to consider my old route of using a DMC Ground control and rack loop switching unit. I had the best of luck with it, fantastic configurations available. All my pedals in the rack, all bypassed when not in use, any combo when I needed it. i just got tired of lugging it all around. Mutron's and Bass synths are more fun on the floor for on-the-fly adjustments IMO.
    The Line 6 MM is great i'm sure but kid of heavy handed...more stuff than I need. Do you really have the FM?? Tell us all about it! Will it replace my Mutron III+ or no? Do the effects sound fuzzy and analog or processed and "detached"? Does it respond well to your dynamics? I read the DM didn't.
    Who is Gardiner? I dig Wobble but haven't heard the new one.
    Which Phase shifter model do you end up choosing on your MM?
    Thanks;
    Chris

5. JohnP

JohnP

Jun 9, 2001
    Chicago
    Endorsing Artist: Rick Turner Guitars, DTAR, Seymour Duncan,
    :oops:ooooh...a true bypass switch installed, like in the actual MXR pedal? that would be dandy. How would I go about that?

I am using a boss line selector ..but I bet a switch could be installed in the MXR.

:Mutron's and Bass synths are more fun on the floor for on-the-fly adjustments IMO.

amen, me brddr

:The Line 6 MM is great i'm sure but kid of heavy handed...more stuff than I need.

I don't use it live anymore for much the same reason.

:Do you really have the FM?? Tell us all about it!

I got it because I have been EV filter insane lately-tried a box full of them--I have only had the fm for 2 weeks now..it's deep. The best thing I like so far are the Mood Sympathizer efx..I a/b/c'd it with the Akai and the EH micro..and this is a lot nicer, mo' user friendly and versatile. Email me for more..

:Will it replace my Mutron III+ or no?

NO! mof, i think the weak point is the mutron-ish stuff. but I am still experimenting. (sound of bass line from "Vote for Miles")

:Do the effects sound fuzzy and analog or processed and "detached"?

analog and buzzy, though not as much as the real stuff- much the same way all their modeling things are. however in a live thang, and for the $$, it's a killa.

:Does it respond well to your dynamics?

ummm yea..maybe... it does..but it's tracking your playing and I don't think god meant for efx to track a pbass with flats, especially on the 5th fret/g string. It tracks my Ren better, but i like the Ren "naked" so much, I can't even turn on an equalizer fer C sake.

:Who is Gardiner?

Boris Gardiner, one of the finest bassists from JA to ever lay down a track at the Black Ark!

:I dig Wobble but haven't heard the new one.

Every bass player should give a listen to this..it's an amazing cd.

dub down!

jp

6. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Why not try a boss super phaser dirk lance of incubus uses that and the MXR 90