Phase Shifter With Distortion

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Quickfinga, Mar 9, 2019.

1. Quickfinga

Quickfinga Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Hey guys,

I'm playing in a Prog band at the moment and right now my pedal board is MXR Envelope Filter->MXR Bass Comp->Tech 21 VT Bass->Darkglass B3k->EQD Tone Job.

Sometimes I'll run the VT Bass and the B3k together to get some heavy distortions but there are times when the music calls for huge swells with the distortion. Right now I'm using the envelope filter to try to get those swells but unfortunately it's not impacting the signal the way I wish it would. I'm currently looking at switching out the envelope filter for an EQD Grand Orbiter and I'm wondering if any of you have had experience with something like this. The grand Orbiter is a phase pedal that can also work as a tremolo if set correctly.

I'm thinking the Grand Orbiter over other pedals because of the ability to set the sweep which is really what I'm going for when trying to get those heavy, doomy distortion swells.

2. Phase Shifters do a really interesting dance with dirt pedals before or after but as to which is best you will have to try and see. That is the enigmatic quandary of effects and the constant search we have all embarked upon like knights seeking our Holy Grail of Blissful Tonality Magic. Sorry too much GOT.

Microbass and Jakeman like this.
  3. Quickfinga

Jan 30, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Lil' TB browsing and GOT? Sounds like a damn good Saturday.

I've had a small amount of luck finding demos online of bass distortions with a phasers so unfortunately the tonal adventure is going to be pricey Luckily I live a couple miles from EQD so their stuff is stocked in the shops around here regularly.

4. rjovin

rjovin Supporting Member

May 27, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    my mxr phase 90 is by far my favorite phaser for this. for me, the grand orbiter didn't come close to the amount of phase i wanted. it is very subtle.
    my mxr phase 90 is by far my favorite phaser for this. for me, the grand orbiter didn't come close to the amount of phase i wanted. it was far to subtle for me.

5. Quickfinga

Jan 30, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    How is it for creating a precisely times swell? The envelope filter reacts to the attack so I can time that a small amount but really being able to define the type of phase is what draws me to the Orbiter.

6. There are some modulators that can be tap or beat synched if that is really important, seems that is an EQD feature quite often.
    When I need to beat synch modulation of delay effects I use an AdrenaLinn III that was purpose built for that among other things. It's getting a bit old at this point but is still a solid device with bullet proof tones.

7. I love using phasers with fuzz.

The ADA Final Phase is both a phaser and an overdrive with lots of tweakability but to be honest I felt it cut the low-end out alot on most settings.

The Mr Black Gilamondo is some of the thickest phasing I ever had, loved running fuzz into it.

I'm currently using the Heptode Virtuoso, which is more subtle (not in a bad way) and has the advantage of being able to select between slow/medium/fast speeds with ramping up and down.

8. I have a Grand Orbiter on my board right now. I love it! It interacts with dirt very well, and it can do long swells beautifully. However, the LFO is always going, even when the pedal is off, and when the pedal is engaged the effect will start in whatever part of the cycle the LFO currently is. This means that it can be very tricky (as in "I wouldn't even try") to have the swell start in the precise time you want it. Personally, I have never really considered this a problem, but it may be for you.

Just to clarify, the Grand Orbiter can be set to work as a Vibrato, not a tremolo (I guess that we need to thank Leo Fender for making most of us confuse those two effects... :laugh:).

9. Quickfinga

Jan 30, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    I'm assuming since you mentioned the Final Phase cutting too much low end that the Gilamondo has no issues with that? I'm generally running standard tuning on a five but if I'm hitting that low B do you think the pedal is running fine with it or farting it out?

10. Quickfinga

Jan 30, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Ah yeah I just watched another demo and realized I switched those up Whoops.

Do you find any loss of the low end with the grand Orbiter? The demo I just watched sounded absolutely incredible when the guy added some dirt into the signal.

11. I have experienced no loss of low end. This thing really works well on bass. :bassist:

12. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    Upgrading the filter to something that can do a slow sweep (like the IE XD) might get you there too. FWIW I use a Digitech Freqout for swells, but that's a totally different flavor (can get some interesting modulation going into dirt tho).

Quickfinga likes this.
  13. TheLowDown33

TheLowDown33 Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2009
    NJ
    Putting a phaser before your dirt does something like that. It gives the perception of a swell because it moves a resonant peak up and down through the frequency spectrum. I would look at the Source Audio Lunar for your purposes. If it cant be done in that box, it ain't happening period.

Quickfinga likes this.
  14. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    there's the Malekko Sneak Attack and the envelope on the EG bassmicrosynth can be very long (slow) especially it's it's using all the freq., left to right or visa versa

15. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Frat-Pack Sympathizer

The Boss PH-3 is a hugely underrated phaser for bass, IMHO. The 10-stage setting works best. You can tap tempo into it, and it even has modes that sweep up only, or down only. Tap the tempo on every "one", use the downward sweep, and send your listeners sliding to the bowels of hell with every measure. Or something. :D

Jxff, Nunovsky and Quickfinga like this.
  16. Quickfinga

Jan 30, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Sounds tempting and cost effective

17. Gilamondo didn't cut the lows at all. I shouldn't have sold it to be honest and I was tuned to c#.

Unfortunately I always felt the Boss Phasers I'd tried (ph-2 and ph-3) never kept enough bass for me.

Quickfinga likes this.
  18. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    Phasers are my favourite modulation to use with bass.
    I have 4 phaser pedals and I can also add the Boss MD-500 and my Line 6 HX Stomp that also have phaser models. I have a Small Stone clone, a Joyo Vintage Phase (which is basically a Phase 90 Script clone), a Source Audio Lunar and an Akai Phase Shifter.
    All these are quite diferent, with the Lunar and the MD-500 and HX Stomp being the most complete and with more options. IMO, if you want a pedal that offers you the most options that you an get on a phaser just go with the SA Lunar. It sounds great and it's super tweakable with the neuro app.
    But honestly, the one that I love the most to interact with my fuzz is the Small Stone. It just sounds lush and full and awesome. I love it!

MojoPenguin likes this.
  19. MojoPenguin

MojoPenguin

Jul 11, 2014
    Europe Bro'
    +1 Phaser on Bass. Best modulation effect ever.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021