Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Phase Shifter

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Excelite, Mar 18, 2005.

1. Excelite

Excelite

Mar 18, 2005
    Near DFW, Texas
    Anyone know of a good phase shifter that works on bass? I've looked at Boss, Digitech and Behringer...Behringer makes one that is compatible with bass but they dont sell it where I was hoping to find it. I was wondering if the Boss PH-3 was compatible with bass...any ideas?

2. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Lots of bassist use the plain jane MXR's.

3. Excelite

Excelite

Mar 18, 2005
    Near DFW, Texas
    Those seem pricey...the Behringer I was looking at was 25 bucks...a hard deal to beat. I was just wondering if phases for guitars would work on bass.

4. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    The MXR Phase 90 is a good choice, but my favourite is the EHX Small Stone. I love mine, it sound great. Much better than the Behringer. More durable as well.

Graeme

5. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    $60 is pricey? The pedal will last forever. MXR has a great track record.

6. Excelite

Excelite

Mar 18, 2005
    Near DFW, Texas

I noticed 2 different models...which do you have (or, which is better?) the USA Small Stone Phase Shifter or Small Stone Effect Pedal?

7. Excelite

Excelite

Mar 18, 2005
    Near DFW, Texas
    Okay thanks for the help...I now have many different models to choose from that look to be better than what I was originally looking at. I guess my only concern is wether or not they work on bass even though they arent made for bass. I've read some reviews on pedals that werent made for bass but people tried and said it didnt effect the sound much at all.

8. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    Most phasers work fine for bass. The only concern when using guitar pedals for bass is whether the pedal sucks the low end out of your tone. Any of those recommended above will work well.....except the Behringer. My personal preference is the Boss PH-3.

9. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Is a phaser basically like a flange?

10. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Mine is made in the USA, and looks like this... I'm not sure what the difference is between the two you said. Mine sounds amazing though, I highly reccomend it.

Graeme :bassist:

Attached Files:

11. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Kinda, not really...

Both effects are functions of the frequency, and can be modulated to a specific rate to make it sound "fast" or "slow".. just like Tremolo and Chorus.

Flange is an effect that sound slike the jet engine passing overhead, or like the pitch is mildly out of tune. It was originally produced by taking 2 copies of the same tape on 2 different reel-to-reel players, and playing them in sync. You'd alternat;y push on the flange of the reel, to slow down one of the reels, and then allow it to catch up... the effect is the "flange" effect we are used to.

Depending on the pedal, Phase sounds anywhere from a muted wah to wind passing through a tree. It doesn't effect the Pitch of the note, but sound smore like it modulates the Timbre of the tone by messing with the EQ's... if that makes sense. Since it seems to effect the "EQ" of the tone, phase is much more sublte on bass, since you are playing one pitch at a time.

Electro-Harmonix

Check out the sound samples from the Small Stone (Phase) and the Deluxe Electric Mistress (Flange). Neither have good samples for bass, but it gives you an idea of what the difference is.

The BOSS PH-3 sounds great on Bass, and it's not limited to just one type of Phase. The Small Stone (either the USA or Russian) sound great on bass as well. I've not heard any of the MXR's, Digitech, or Behringer on Bass, but Ihave heard great things about the MXR's (there's acutally 3 different MXR phase pedals) and the Digitech.

12. My experience with the Boss PH-1 and PH-2 phasers is that they dont really work all that well on bass - the effect is far too subtle. I can vouch for the MXR series as being good for bass, and I have heard good things about the EHX Stone phasers. These would be the two brands I would recommend sticking to if you want a defined phasing for bass.

13. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    The first is silver in color and made in the US. Build quality is much better and it's true bypass. The second is black, made in Russia and is of slightly lesser build quality. Some prefer the Russian pedal, but I'd recommend the more expensive American to anyone as far as tone and reliability.

On that note, as an EHX junkie, I'm torn between the MXR Phase 90 and the Small Stone.

14. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I tried both side by side before deciding on the EHX. I just found that it had so many more usable tones. Plus, the Colour switch sound godly. My only gripe is with the damn battery door.

Graeme

15. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    That's why I plug 'em in and never touch that stupid door again ;)

16. Oh to see your EHX collection! :hyper:

I guess Im a MXR Phase 90 junkie, as I've owned four of them (one script, two blocks and an EVH), along with a Phase 100. I only have one block 90 and the EVH now though (its getting close to crunch time on one of them). Great boxes :p

17. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    My EHX collection right now consists of a Big Muff. I'll have an English Muff'n on Monday and that's it.

Paying off loans, sold every piece of equipment I don't use. :meh:

How does the EVH compare to the Block Logo?

18. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    *L* yes.. the infamous EHX battery door... I think I almost broke a tooth the first time I changed batteries in my BassBall.

that's one of th reasons I got a Godlyke Power-All... $40 to power all my pedals silently, or $20 to power one... :D

19. Excelite

Excelite

Mar 18, 2005
    Near DFW, Texas
    This is interesting...I'm doing my research...it looks like I'm going to go with the EHX, although I'm going to go by Guitar Center tomorrow and try to test a couple out. The EHX, at around 85, seems to be more of a value then the Boss at 100, and it doesnt sound like the Boss is worth the 15 extra bucks.

20. Excelite

Excelite

Mar 18, 2005
    Near DFW, Texas
    Someone mentioned the color switch...they dont really talk about it on the EHX website...what does it do?