Phase Shifter???

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Summoner466, Mar 28, 2002.

1. Summoner466

Mar 28, 2002
    Shoreham, NY
    I've been trying to learn the song Sir Psycho Sexy by RHCP (which you have so humbly provided :D )
    When I first started to learn the song off of the CD, I noticed a HUGE wah effect going on in the verse, I was using my crybaby and it sounded close to it but not the exact same...I noticed on the tab (after giving up) that a "pitch shifter" was used. What's the difference between a wah and a pitch shifter and where can I possibly pick one up?

Thanks for your time,
    Mr. Deanis

"Consequence you'll se will be stranger than a gang of drunken mimes"
  2. Whoever said that Flea uses a pitch shifter on "Sir Psycho Sexy" is wrong. I believe he uses either an envelope filter or an autowah pedal of some sort on that song. I got a moogerfooger lowpass filter and have gotten sounds very similar to Flea's on that song with it. The moogerfooger is a bit expensive, it costs about $240-280. There are other pedals that are cheaper but I can't think of any except for the Electro Harmonix Bassballs right now. That one can be found for about $70-90 I believe.
  3. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I think Fleas actually uses a BassBalls on that song as that sound is very bassballs sounding. It is an envelope filter with a distortion swtich.

4. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    i may be a re-re, but i think the phasers i played through (mxr, boss) sound like "sir psycho."

they can approximate the sound much better than a dod envelope filter, anyway.