Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Phase Shifter???

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Summoner466, Mar 28, 2002.

1. Summoner466

Summoner466

Mar 28, 2002
    Shoreham, NY
    :confused:
    I've been trying to learn the song Sir Psycho Sexy by RHCP (which you have so humbly provided :D )
    When I first started to learn the song off of the CD, I noticed a HUGE wah effect going on in the verse, I was using my crybaby and it sounded close to it but not the exact same...I noticed on the tab (after giving up) that a "pitch shifter" was used. What's the difference between a wah and a pitch shifter and where can I possibly pick one up?

Thanks for your time,
    Mr. Deanis

"Consequence you'll se will be stranger than a gang of drunken mimes"

2. Whoever said that Flea uses a pitch shifter on "Sir Psycho Sexy" is wrong. I believe he uses either an envelope filter or an autowah pedal of some sort on that song. I got a moogerfooger lowpass filter and have gotten sounds very similar to Flea's on that song with it. The moogerfooger is a bit expensive, it costs about $240-280. There are other pedals that are cheaper but I can't think of any except for the Electro Harmonix Bassballs right now. That one can be found for about $70-90 I believe.

3. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I think Fleas actually uses a BassBalls on that song as that sound is very bassballs sounding. It is an envelope filter with a distortion swtich.

-KB

4. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    i may be a re-re, but i think the phasers i played through (mxr, boss) sound like "sir psycho."

they can approximate the sound much better than a dod envelope filter, anyway.