phase shifters....

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by pmkelly, Feb 14, 2002.

1. pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    anyone using a phase shifter? If so, what are you using... I played with an EH small stone the other day, and I really liked it, but I am worried about the quality of EH products... so tell me what phase shifter you use...

2. I have a Maestro Stage Phaser.. made in the 70's.. got it off of ebay.

It sounds pretty good and everything can be adjusted by foot due to it's unique design. It can be seen at .. the soundclips don't really do it justice (it sounds AMAZING on guitar.. I've gotten a few offers for it but I'm keeping it) .. mine is also really beatup looking.

The three position switch has two speed presets and a variable speed mode. One of the neatest features of the pedal is that in either preset mode, the phasing "spins up" to speed when it is turned on and "spins down" when turned off. I typically leave it on the slower preset to take advantage of the acceleration effect.

Other phasers I've tried out with bass have been a Boss PH2, new EH Small Stone (Russian), and a vintage Small Stone. The Boss sounded sort of toylike to me, but it would have been perfectly fine I guess. The vintage Small Stone sounded pretty good but it just didn't sound right to me (the store owner thought it was the best Small Stone he had ever gotten). I didn't like the Russian Small Stone at all. The difference between new model and vintage Small Stones was night and day.

I definitely think that my Maestro is the best phaser I've tried.. but they're probably pretty rare.
  3. Oh yea.. currently EH makes one model of Small Stone in Russia and another one in the USA. My guess is that the USA version is quite a bit better.
  4. pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    yeah, I played the USA small stone, but most of the EH stuff just feels really flimsy to me.... nothing like I would want to stomp all over... but I may go ahead and get one just to have that sound! It was the USA small stone that got me on this kick!

5. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
  6. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I use a Boss PH-3. Great pedal. Lots of great reviews. Bass Player magazine even did a great review of it.;)
  7. I second the Phase 90... one of my first and still favorite effects.
  8. Dino

Jan 9, 2002
    Cagliari - Italy
    I played through the EH small stone, and i really liked it. Is also great the phase 90, but it has only one knob and can't turn your sound into a space one. Now I use the boss one (ph-2). It is too much "aggressive", but is what i was serching for. I never tried the mooger fooger. Too many bass players love this gear. Do you know it?
  9. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I use the PH-3 pedal too, very versitale great sounding phase shifter. I have a small stone (Russian), which sounds cool, but needs a new switch after two years of light use. In general though, the EHX stuff I have (mostly U.S.A.) has been very reliable. Click the little house www thing on my post, opens my home page with a small mp3 sample of the ph-3 in action (one of the crazier settings!).
  10. Mohawk Freak

Mohawk Freak

Mar 8, 2002
    Steamboat. Is your meastro phase shifter the PS-1A?
  11. Mohawk Freak

Mohawk Freak

Mar 8, 2002
    actually, it's not. THIS is the one I was looking at. I've seen the pic of yours now.
  12. I use an Akai Intelliphase. It's a very classic phase sound--on my old Dean, I could cop the tones on "For the Love of Money" and "Flight Over Rio" within about 15 minutes. It's also true-bypass and built pretty heavily. It eats batteries, but I only use an AC adapter with it anyway.

Which reminds me--I need to get another wall wart for my tuner.
  13. Mine's the big silver wedge shaped Maestro.
  14. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I use the Boss Super Phaser. A sick, sick phaser, in my opinion.
  15. i've got one of these :

The George Dennis Super phaser :D
    Handmade in the Czech republic, this baby is just about the finest phaserpedal available to the public.

It has a large slider, and if you push it way down, there's a switch. if the led is lid.. the pedal is a phaser.. if the led is unlid, the pedal is a volume-pedal. coz the input is on the right side of the pedal, this baby fits perfectly in a chain of Boss-pedals ( jack-input is @ same height as boss pedals)
    and the cool part is.. they cost only $ 65 :D
  16. Mohawk Freak

Mohawk Freak

Mar 8, 2002
    Is it possible to adjust the Phase sound using the rocker? That would be cool! :cool:
  17. yep.. the more you pull it backwards, the faster the shifting goes.
  18. Mohawk Freak

Mohawk Freak

Mar 8, 2002
    OOH! Mohawk want!!!!! Now!!!!!!!!!!!!
  19. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    can't get george dennis' site to work!

is there an english version around, or any information on a ".com" site at all?

that phaser/volume pedal has peaked some interest of mine, as i could use both functions. and the price!
  20. Mohawk Freak

Mohawk Freak

Mar 8, 2002
    Worked for me. Try it again! (I'm in UK).

Looks great doesn't it! you could do all that speed changey phasey stuff that is a little more difficult on a phase 90.