Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Phased and Confused.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Mohawk Freak, Mar 8, 2002.

1. Mohawk Freak

Mohawk Freak

Mar 8, 2002
    London
    I've got a pearl phaser on loan. It's better than no phaser but I really want to buy one of my own.

I've so far tried the Ibanez tone-loK phaser and a MXR phase 90 as that's all the local music shop had in stock yesterday. Close call between the 2 but I think the lush creamy resonant sound of the Phase 90 takes it (though they really are very different).

I'm gonna try a boss super phaser on monday but what I REALLY want to try is a EH Small Stone (gotta love that EH sound, AND almost half the price of a Phase 90 to boot!). However I won't be able to try one for weeks as my local shop doesn't stock them.

Anyone tried one on bass? especially against a Phase 90, OR does anyone recommend any other phasers that they really love? (phase 45 or 100 possibly?)

2. i have tried both the phase 90 and the small stone and they were both very similiar but if you take a look at my profiele you will see that i own the mxr :) . The phase 90 just sounded a lot cleaner and more defined on the lows as the eh. I got mine new for 70 dollars... the eh was not much cheaper then that at all. Now the boss super phaser is the complete opposite side of the spectrum... it is a complete freak out... lots of very weird shifts and bizarre, probably useless sounds...all and all i prefer the phase 90 over any of those others i have tried.

3. Mohawk Freak

Mohawk Freak

Mar 8, 2002
    London
    Cheers for the feedback, I'll have to look around at prices as the price difference over here (UK) can be a lot!

Here's another one for ya' folks. Anyone tried a BAD STONE?

4. Mohawk Freak

Mohawk Freak

Mar 8, 2002
    London
    I've been a bad boy! I didn't search the forum for answers to this before posting. :rolleyes:
    However, I'm still interested in the Bad stone v.s small stone; Phase 90 v.s 45 or 100 questions. I've read steamboats post about his maestro (or something, I forget) but saw no answer to the querey about the Mooger Fooger. Anyone know how this compares (though I think it's probably WAYYYY too expensive!).
    Also, anyone got any more opinions on differnt models or makes (usa v.s sovtek) of small stone? I got a sovtek bassballs pedal as I love the "straight out of a tank" look the sovtek stuff has and thought that this was what the price premium on the USA stuff was about. However it seems that there may be more to it!
    Hmm, what seemed like a simple purchase is getting ever more complicated!