1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Phaser or Chorus first?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JesterJoker010, Nov 17, 2018.

1. JesterJoker010

JesterJoker010

Nov 4, 2018
    Now I know there are no rules, but I have no experience with using these two effects together, not even sure if I will eventually.
    Haven't got the pedals for it either yet, will be another couple of weeks, so can't try it out myself.
    Which would you put before the other and why?

2. Alien8

Alien8

Jan 29, 2014
    Which pedals?

If either is stereo, I tend to use those last because stereo is awesome.

If you want the chorus to be a pitch modulation type thing, then it goes first.

They bith have on / off switches, so you could just use that function to turn one off and the other on when you want to.

Sunset Shalom likes this.
  3. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    I have it as phaser first.... But there isn't a rule yet I have received more recommendations this way.

4. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Depends on how the pedals stack. I have chorus then phase, but with others I’ve reversed it.

5. keatz

keatz

Jan 19, 2011
    Well a chorus pretty much takes off where phaser leaves, so it's a similar thing to light od or heavy od first. Do you want to phase the chorus or chorus the phase? Most people would go phaser first but no right or wrong.

40Hz, Mvilmany and cheechi like this.
  6. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    IMHO they don't stack very well, so I wouldn't worry about it, but YMMV.

7. BassAndReeds

BassAndReeds

Oct 7, 2016
    Phaser first.

Modulation before duplication IMO

Nev375 likes this.
  8. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    Phaser > Stereo chorus is where it's at. Really enhances the phasers tone, bonus if there's delay at the end! Also some sort of comp/limiter at the end can be smart especially with dirt to smooth out any harsh peaks.

Lately I've been stacking dirt before and after the phaser, with a limiter to avoid clipping in the mixer. Sounds amazing when dialed in right.

cheechi likes this.
  9. I have had great fun with a stereo phaser outputting to two different OD to two different amps, but here are a few other options you can try if you like stereo;

stereo phaser to two mono echo and/or delay
    stereo chorus to one flanger & one phaser
    stereo phaser to stereo chorus (SP-7 into CR-7 is what I tried, both of which can take mono or stereo inputs so you can choose either order)
    Haven't tried but I want to try a phase & flange into a CR-7

I spend a good chunk of the time practicing actually just playing with my pedalboard. To my ears, a mono pedalboard sounds best with this general order wah > comp > boost > mild od > heavy od > fuzz > 'preamp' od > phase > flange > chorus

You decide how valuable a recommendation is coming from someone who plays with pedals instead of practicing.

Sunset Shalom likes this.
  10. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    I wouldn’t ever use both at tge same time, so I’d choose order by how the footswitches layout, or ...toss a coin.

Frank77 and Wasnex like this.
  11. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    That is how I felt before running a phaser into some stereo chorus. Set the chorus slow/wide and it really expands the phaser, doesn't even sound like both effects just an extra wide/thick phaser.

Side note, I also felt that way about filters + phasers before trying it out with a limiter to smooth out any peaks. Sounds amazing with some fuzz/dirt, super versatile combo. I use an EHX Riddle with an exp pedal to sweep the filter, and the blend set around 50% going into a phaser. Very fun to sweep the filter into the phaser, especially with some delay after. Or even some stereo chorus to widen it, though that can definitely be overkill. It helps to set each a bit extra subtle.

Wasnex and cheechi like this.
  12. not to pile it on, but I could only really agree with this if all I had experienced was mono pedals. Stereo pedals but more importantly stereo studio effects are really where it's at; a 'good' or even 'great' chorus pedal compared to an engineer applying a good analog studio chorus effect to your recorded sound is like bringing a knife to an ICBM fight. They are orders of magnitude better. I put echo, chorus, delay, phase, flange, and what most pedals refer to auto-wah in this category.

In the real world having to carry one board, one amp, one cab, I can see your point and largely agree with you. It's just about finding the right mono phase and chorus combination. Mine has the Joyo phase and Mooer Ensemble Queen chorus. The right combination doesn't have to be expensive or boutique; these are MXR and Boss clones.

Wasnex and Sunset Shalom like this.
  13. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    @cheechi and @Sunset Shalom

I usually run bass or guitar mono. IMHO stacking modulation effects in mono tends to create a jumbled mess. I have two phasers, a flanger, a chorus, and a modulated delay, and I have tried stacking them in multiple ways. It didn't exactly sound bad, but IMHO running just one of the pedals always sounded better.

I do see potential with stacking modulation effects in stereo though, and my chorus is an MXR M134. Maybe I'll have set up another amp for an experiment :thumbsup:.

cheechi likes this.
  14. pick your favourite; slight phase works with more chorus, heavy phase works with light chorus. For me, my phase is at 1:00 and my chorus is on the milder side. To clarify, I do rarely use chorus with or without the phase. But I set my chorus in such a way that if I have my phase or flange on, it's not bad (to me).

Nev375 and Wasnex like this.
  15. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    To be fair I mainly play guitar, but have gotten some sweet sounds trying similar combos on bass. To avoid a jumbled mess you have to sort of balance them out. I practice/record DI with a mixer so it's easy to blend in clean with the FX.

But yeah for more classic rigs it is definitely overkill, and most people don't play stereo especially live it seems. It is very fun to try though especially for recording.

16. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    Try putting the phaser before the chorus. I did this with my flanger pedal and it was a pretty good setup on my pedalboard.

17. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    I go phaser first into a slow chorus. With a clean signal and some bright roundwounds it sounds like magic.

18. BassBeginer64

BassBeginer64 Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2018
    Riverside Ca
    Heck get both, they are blast to play with, MXR90 is just a fun pedal!

19. djasterix

djasterix

Jan 1, 2012
    Lima, Peru
    I use Aguilar Pedals, and go Grape Phaser then Chorosaurus. Dirt at the end, as it always go alone

View attachment 3218449

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018