phaser or flanger?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by KB, Jun 23, 2002.

1. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I am considering getting a nice "wobbly" effect again (used to have a small stone phaser) and i am considering either a phaser or flanger.

Which do you think sounds better for bass?

What is the real difference between a phaser and a flanger?

I know the phaser is a short wobbly swell and I think a flanger is just longer and more "doppler effect" like. Is this true?

I would like one of the effects that works well with bass. (my older small stone was OK, I was just too old and very very noisy). Please give me some advice. I would like relatively cheap (<$140 or so) and a small footprint (so I can get it on my pedal board).

I am considering the following:
    -A newer US reissue EH small stone
    -MXR Phase90
    -the newest boss model (I forget the number..ph3?)

-Boss BF3
    don't really know too many flangers (electric mistress is too big)

2. a phaser is actually a sweep-filter that runs parallel to the clean signal.

a flanger is the extended version of a chorus.. a delayed signal runs parallel to the clean signal.
  3. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    How good of phaser is the Akai intelliphase?
    Does it sound good for bass?
  4. Joshua Pickenpaugh

Joshua Pickenpaugh Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2001
    The Midwest of USA
    I have the new Boss Phaser (ugly green pedal), which I like due to it's adjustable low pass filter. I've got the EBS Flanger (the Unichorus), too, and it seems to cut some of the low end off, wich I'm not to crazy about. I recently a/b'ed my EBS Unichorus and Octave against my Boss Bass Chorus and Octaver, respectively. What I found, in my very scientific trial(!), was that the EBS cut a fair amount of low end and was not adjustable, while the Boss stuff had, conversly, that adjustable low pass knob. Also, with all this traveling, I'm digging the Boss stuff more and more, very road worthy stuff, imho. Hope this helps!
  5. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I think I am now leaning towards the MXR Phase 90 as while the akai is cheap, it is a little large for the area I need it to go in on my pedalboard. I have an effects loop pedal so I am not too concerned about the non-true bypass (however, if sopmeone knows how to true-bypass a phase 90 please let me know as that would put it in the must have list).

6. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I have the Boss PH-3 (phase shifter) and love it! It's very warm sounding, much warmer than I'd expected. It does get a little noisy with the effect on, but only hear it when I play solo. It's extremely flexible, even allowing tap-tempo, which is becoming more common in today's effects.

I'd say that it's a pretty good bet you'd like it, if you're looking for that kind of thing.
  7. EEbass04

Dec 28, 2001
    Lee's Summit:MO

thats funny. I think a flanger would be able to be used more. And boss makes nice flangers in my opinion
  8. I never knew that. Thanks, AllodoX.

I have both. A phaser and a flanger. Both are Boss, though not the brand new models.

I use the flanger much more than the phaser. To describe them both in plain language:

Think of both effects as a lighthouse, and the light you see coming from them is the sound of their effect.

A phaser's light spins round and round at various speeds and intensities.

A flanger's light moves back and forth only 180 degrees, never in a complete circle. Again at various speeds and intensities.

Flangers go well with bass, but, IMHO are almost a required piece of gear with a fretless bass. Especially when you set it to a give a subtle effect.
    The best flanger example I can think of is on Chris DeBurg's song, "The lady in red."

Both are good, but, I prefer a flanger for bass.

Mike J.